Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I don't understand iPhoto - where are my actual pix if not in library?

Before trying iPhoto I put all my photos in "pictures" (on new macbook air June 2010) using my own system of folders and subfolders. Having been informed that I could not "tag" them, there are a lot of duplicates.

Then I started "importing" them into iPhoto, where they appeared as "events" in the library, apparently coinciding with my original subfolders. There were so many that I had to stop half way because I thought I was overfilling my hard drive. They are not all imported yet - it's a real mess. I started making new albums and turning them into lovely slideshows.

I tried reading the instructions and this baffled me (as did my son) by telling me I couldn't interfere with the "library" because these are not actually photos but some kind of representation or contents list. They are "virtual" and take up no space on the disc. I Do Not Understand This Concept!!!

Can somebody please explain this to me. I want to tag, select and move most pix onto an external drive.

Then I want to send slideshows to my friends as email attachments. Is this possible?

MacBook Air (Mid 2009)

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 9:04 PM

1 reply

Jan 29, 2012 12:13 AM in response to jofromjacksonheights

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and iPhoto copies files into the iPhoto Library when Importing. The files are then stored in the Library package

A Referenced Library is when iPhoto is NOT copying the files into the iPhoto Library when importing because you made a change at iPhoto -> Preferences -> Advanced. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

This is a key question, and once you can answer this, we can progress.

Then I want to send slideshows to my friends as email attachments. Is this possible?

When you make a slideshow you're making a Movie. Movies are very large files and not appropriate for emailing. Sending very large files can cause all sorts of issues to people on the receiving end. Instead you can upload the movie to a file-sharing service like YouSendIt, YouTube etc and then send a link to the receipient.

Regards

TD

I don't understand iPhoto - where are my actual pix if not in library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.