Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Write GPS Metadata to Master Photo

Hello every body,

I have a MBP with Aperture 3 and I wonder how to write GPS Metadata in the master jpeg photos.

I did my homework and I know some of you already asked the question. The problem is the best answer was apparently to download Maperture Pro in order to have GPS metadata written in your files without being obliged to export them all, then imported them again. But Maperture Pro is no more available for download.

So my questions are :

How can I write my GPS Metadata to the master files without having to export them, then to import them back ?

I found the button "Write the IPTC Metadata to Master", so why is there not a "Write the Exif Metadata to Master" or "Write the GPS Metadata to Master" ???

Does somebody know if that feature is planned in a future update ? or in Aperture 4 ? When ?

Thanks a lot,

Ryfe

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 11:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 1:28 AM

Hello Ryfe,

Have you tried this mirror site to download Maperture Pro?

http://www.downloadplex.com/Mac/Graphic-Apps/Other/Download-maperture-pro-for-ma c_178058.html

It still seems to work - tried just now

I found the button "Write the IPTC Metadata to Master", so why is there not a "Write the Exif Metadata to Master" or "Write the GPS Metadata to Master" ???

EXIF data are set by the camera or scanner, IPCT are prvided by the photographer. And Aperture does not support of data created by the camera, with the one exception of adjusting the date, in case you did not set the correctl, but in all other cases Aperture prevents you from manipulating data created by the camera (apart from the image itself). So you should adjust all EXIF tags before you import to Aperture, exiftool, jetphoto, Graphic Converter ...

Does somebody know if that feature is planned in a future update ? or in Aperture 4 ? When ?

Apple will know, but all we can do is hope ..

Regards

Léonie

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2012 1:28 AM in response to Ryfe

Hello Ryfe,

Have you tried this mirror site to download Maperture Pro?

http://www.downloadplex.com/Mac/Graphic-Apps/Other/Download-maperture-pro-for-ma c_178058.html

It still seems to work - tried just now

EXIF data are set by the camera or scanner, IPCT are prvided by the photographer. And Aperture does not support of data created by the camera, with the one exception of adjusting the date, in case you did not set the correctl, but in all other cases Aperture prevents you from manipulating data created by the camera (apart from the image itself). So you should adjust all EXIF tags before you import to Aperture, exiftool, jetphoto, Graphic Converter ...

Apple will know, but all we can do is hope ..

Regards

Léonie

Jan 29, 2012 4:06 PM in response to léonie

Hello Léonie,

Thanks for your answer. I will try the mirror sit you suggest when I have a better internet connection.

I still think Apertude should definitely provide a way to do that without the users to look for complicated ways to do that :-/

What I meant by "Write the Exif Metadata to Master" is not that irrelevant because GPS metadata are not written in IPTC, but in the Exifs. Same for the direction of the photo (portrait or landscape), or the date, as you mentionned. Well, my point is we should be able to write that in the master file without export/import painful process (I guess we all agree on that point).

Thanks again.

And please, Apple, bring this feature on! This is a must !

Ryfe

How to Write GPS Metadata to Master Photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.