Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm having a popup box come up...

Whenever I try to view anything in video format online, I get a box that says "Adobe Flash Player settings: local storage d.yimg.com is requesting permission to store information on your computer" It has an "allow" and a "deny" button at the bottom,but if you hit "deny" nothing happens, and it just continues to sit there.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this? I believe one of my kids may have clicked on something while on a game site, and that is why it is even here.

Any help is much appreciated!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), purchased 7/2010

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 8:04 AM

17 replies

Jan 29, 2012 11:24 AM in response to denisefromevesham

You can trick Flash into thinking it works and not have to bother allowing that content from the pop-up. This will also remove and prevent any persistent Flash cookies (Local Shared Objects.)

As far as I can tell all sites employing Flash will continue to function properly. I haven't encountered any problems playing Flash content and all that crap is permanently denied.

First, to get a new, clean folder, start by trashing the Macromedia folder in ~/Library/Preferences. That's in your user Library. Next, do not visit the local Flash Pref Pane in Sys Prefs. Instead, go directly to Adobe Global Privacy settings in the Adobe Settings Manager and set Camera and Mic to "Always deny." Visiting the Settings Manager will automatically create a new, clean Macromedia folder.

(If you first visit the local Flash Pref Pane, the new Macromedia folder will lack the empty default #shared objects folder and its also empty enclosed folder (this is the one with a combination of characters and numerals.) I haven't tested to see what will happen if those two folders are not present. I assume, providing the Macromedia folder is unlocked, they would be created as soon as one visits a Flash site, but they will not be empty and this would defeat the entire purpose.)

If you visit the local Flash Pref Pane now, all the defaults will remain, except for the Camera and Mic panel, where "Always deny" will be checked. Next, it seems prudent to go to the Playback panel and check "Block all sites from using peer assisted networking." But, important, in the Storage panel, you must leave the default "Allow sites to save...." checked. This is how sites using Flash are tricked into thinking storage of Flash Cookies is being allowed when they are, in fact, not.

Next, go back to the Macromedia Folder and, using GetInfo/CMD-I, recursively lock all its enclosed folders. This means starting from the back working ones way up to the front. And, finally, lock the enclosing Macromedia folder itself. Nothing gets stored and everything keeps on working.

(Thanks to Anon at XYMer's for this.)

Apr 7, 2012 12:02 PM in response to denisefromevesham

I had this happen after I had done some fiddling in my settings. Finally learned what I'd done.

It's a very simple fix. (once I looked I realized I had switched it myself)

Got to System Preferences -> Flash Player -> Storage tab

There you can allow/deny flash sites from storing local information. It is currently set to "Ask me..." therefore you get the popup on every flash site.

I was worried at first when I saw these popups because of the recent warnings about a Mac virus coming via bogus Flash updates- which ironically was what had prompted me to get into the settings panels in the first place.

Apr 8, 2012 8:42 PM in response to HACKINT0SH

Hey- I read it on the internet- it *must* be true!

Actually it was on BBC news last Thurs (5 April 2012)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17623422

(excerpt)

"Half a million Mac computers 'infected with malware'

Dr Web says most infected computers are in the US

Continue reading the main story

More than half a million Apple computers have been infected with the Flashback Trojan, according to a Russian anti-virus firm.

Its report claims that about 600,000 Macs have installed the malware - potentially allowing them to be hijacked and used as a "botnet".

Apple has released a security update, but users who have not installed the patch remain exposed.

Flashback was first detected last September when anti-virus researchers flagged up software masquerading itself as a Flash Player update. Once downloaded it deactivated some of the computer's security software."

I hope you are right and they are mistaken.

Message was edited by: cabngirl

Apr 10, 2012 3:26 AM in response to cabngirl

Leaving aside the pointless pedantry over the definition of a virus; I strongly advise the approach given by WZZZ above. It stops Flash being used to spawn persistent cookies and may also remove a possible malware vector.

Early versions of the Flashback trojan were indeed using a fake Adobe Flash installer to attempt to get admin permission to install, so your caution there is well justified. That particular malware is not the first to exploit Flash or other "missing plug-in" social engineering tricks.

Current versions of Flashback seem to be exploiting a Java vulnerability, and there are plenty of threads on the subject - here's one (long) one -

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3844172?answerId=18088298022#18088298022

Nov 1, 2012 10:49 AM in response to WZZZ

Hey WZZZ - Thanks for the intel. I'm a casual MAC user, so a lot of this is over my paygrade -- but I'm intrigued by the string. I'm on a Macbook Air with OS X 10.6.8. Would this advice apply to me as well?

Last, I am moderately fluent in PC related issues (only been on MAC a couple of years) and I used to run malware detectors/protectors along with anti-virus software etc. Is that really not a concern with MACs? and if it is -- do you have a recommended Malware tool?

PS: I'm not getting the requisite pop-ups discussed.

Thanks

Doc

Nov 1, 2012 11:05 AM in response to ArmyDoc1993

The Flashback episode is now behind us. But it would be a good idea to keep Java (not to be confused with JavaScript), through which the Flashback drive-by worked, disabled in whatever browser you use. Java seems particularly vulnerable to these kinds of exploits.

For a very decent introduction to the subject of malware, A-V and Macs, see T. Reed on this.

http://www.reedcorner.net/mmg/

Nov 1, 2012 12:27 PM in response to noondaywitch

noondaywitch wrote:

Current versions of Flashback seem to be exploiting a Java vulnerability

I agree with everything you've said, except that I probably would have worded this one differently.

Later versions of Flashback (after February of this year) definitely used a Java vulnerability that was patched by Apple (much later than it should have been). Flashback has been declared extinct by several A-V labs, so that specific threat hasn't been around for several months now. But vulnerabilities in Java still exist, so users do need to be cautious with it's use, especially in browsers, for the day when the next exploit shows up on the web.

Nov 19, 2012 8:14 AM in response to WZZZ

I found this super helpful. I searched on adobe with this same problem (a lot of people have it) and no one had an answer. I would just add that "go directly to Adobe Global Privacy settings in the Adobe Settings Manager and set Camera and Mic to "Always deny," means that you go to the adobe website and there they have a settings manager that applies to your computer. I googled "adobe settings manager." I'm not sure if that was clear to everyone. This is not in your system preferences, rather online.

May 18, 2013 4:05 PM in response to cabngirl

thx Cabngirl, you helped me 🙂

regarding your post:

I had this happen after I had done some fiddling in my settings. Finally learned what I'd done.

It's a very simple fix. (once I looked I realized I had switched it myself)

Got to System Preferences -> Flash Player -> Storage tab

There you can allow/deny flash sites from storing local information. It is currently set to "Ask me..." therefore you get the popup on every flash site.

I was worried at first when I saw these popups because of the recent warnings about a Mac virus coming via bogus Flash updates- which ironically was what had prompted me to get into the settings panels in the first place.

I'm having a popup box come up...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.