Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Every time I try to update iTunes, my computer tells me it has an invalid signature and removes the download. What can I do?

Every time I try to update iTunes, my computer tells me it has an invalid signature and removes the download. I have tried "download only" but the same thing happens. I currently have iTunes 10.5.2.11 and my OS is Windows XP. Also, the iTunes DJ function has frozen on one play list and will not change playlists, nor will it refresh and rearrange the songs.

Windows, Windows XP

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 6:40 PM

similar problem - upgrading iOS on my iPad through iTunes required a prior upgrade of iTunes to 10.6 - during that process the message "iTunes has an invalid signature" appeared with advice to just download iTunes and install it manually afterwards. The 74MB download repeated, but ended with the message "iTunes has an invalid signature. The download has been removed" - no more options so I called Apple Care today 13 March. It's a timed call to a 1300 number. After taking details, the operator, Gabby, said she "thought" the solution lay in bypassing iTunes on my PC and doing the update over wi-fi. She directed me to the Settings app, but it appeared that her thinking was in error as there was no update option there. She then said she'd have to put me on hold to go and talk to someone. She said she could not call me back. I expressed my dissatisfaction and asked to speak to her supervisor. She put me on hold and 6 minutes later I hung up. This is the level of "Apple Care protection", a paid "service" for which one pays telephony charges while the staff research a solution. I've also found lots of other references to this invalid signature problem, but so far no solutions - Apple knows our email addresses, but doesn't publish a solution ...

Apple, where are you?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2012 6:40 PM in response to lhagar

similar problem - upgrading iOS on my iPad through iTunes required a prior upgrade of iTunes to 10.6 - during that process the message "iTunes has an invalid signature" appeared with advice to just download iTunes and install it manually afterwards. The 74MB download repeated, but ended with the message "iTunes has an invalid signature. The download has been removed" - no more options so I called Apple Care today 13 March. It's a timed call to a 1300 number. After taking details, the operator, Gabby, said she "thought" the solution lay in bypassing iTunes on my PC and doing the update over wi-fi. She directed me to the Settings app, but it appeared that her thinking was in error as there was no update option there. She then said she'd have to put me on hold to go and talk to someone. She said she could not call me back. I expressed my dissatisfaction and asked to speak to her supervisor. She put me on hold and 6 minutes later I hung up. This is the level of "Apple Care protection", a paid "service" for which one pays telephony charges while the staff research a solution. I've also found lots of other references to this invalid signature problem, but so far no solutions - Apple knows our email addresses, but doesn't publish a solution ...

Apple, where are you?

Mar 13, 2012 8:58 AM in response to werner_au

Sorry to hear that you called, paid, and didn't get any help. I really appreciate the warning, so I don't go through the same thing. I had this problem for a few months, then I had a successful update, now I'm having the problem again. Keep trying about once a month, and eventually it will work. Don't try updating everyday, or you'll go crazy.

I'm still not able to use the iTunes DJ function. That is more bothersome than not being able to upgrade to the new version of iTunes, but I think the two problems are connected.

Mar 14, 2012 2:29 AM in response to lhagar

Actually it didn't take too long to find the solution to that problem by searching on Google: just download the latest iTunes directly from the apple websiteusing your browser - don't do it through the installed iTunes program. Once downloaded, just run the file and it installs the later version over the top of the old version. All that happens without (for me) any hitch. Note - the solution obtained from one of myriad sites complaining about this problem; solution NOT PROVIDED BY APPLE.

Every time I try to update iTunes, my computer tells me it has an invalid signature and removes the download. What can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.