Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Center a document within the Pages window/workspace?

So my basic support question is... Is there a way to center the document being worked on in iWork's Pages so that the document itself is centered within the iWork desktop window/area. I thought it would be as simple as a selection toggle in the Pages "View" menubar, i.e. View > Center Document Within Pages Window [Shift-Command-Whatever] but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I saw what appeared to be a similar discussion on this topic a while back that unfortunately descended into some faux spirituality debate on the differences between Apple and Microsoft UIs. To avoid going there, I'm instead posting here to describe the issue...

Here is an image of how the current Pages desktop looks (when you stretch the Pages workspace window to occupy the full screen):

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7285/pagescurrent.jpg

And here is a mockup done in Adobe Fireworks that shows what I am looking to accomplish, or find an option for:

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4963/pagesnew.jpg

So the image shows what a screen capture of the Pages Desktop area would look like if you expanded the Pages window, and selected "Center Document". The toolbars and Page Thumbnails can be moved like any other window.

So can this be done?

If the answer is yes, please post the Pages settings needed to accomplish this.

If the answer is no, please elaborate briefly.

If the answer is no, and this was thread was read by Apple support or ideally someone on the iWork or Pages team, please post whether this can be added as a new feature in future versions... and if not, a reason why i.e. spiritual UI debate on other thread.

Thanks,

J

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), iWork

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 10:03 AM

12 replies

Apr 13, 2012 12:08 PM in response to Jackemoe

Hi guys

I know this is a couple of months after the original post, but after briefly fiddling with pages I found a way round it by using the 'comment bar' to be the left side grey area:

Make sure you have extended the window so some grey area is showing on the right

Make sure you have some content in your document (a few of words will do)

Click on the add comment button next to the charts and tables buttons.

No just delete the comment box you just made by clicking the X and...

Voila!

Yes..I know the area on the left is not resizable, but it works well and for us word converts it is perfect!!!

Cheers

MrMaxo3000

Jan 29, 2012 11:26 AM in response to Jackemoe

No, a Pages document is on the left in the window. Default is when you start a document is the the window is snug around the document at least on the left and right side.

If you can do anything by medling with the code I do not know.

If you want Apple to know your view tell them. Here we are all end users. In the Pages Pages menu you have Provide Pages Feedback.

Jan 29, 2012 11:31 AM in response to Jackemoe

"So can this be done?

If the answer is yes, please post the Pages settings needed to accomplish this.

If the answer is no, please elaborate briefly.

If the answer is no, and this was thread was read by Apple support or ideally someone on the iWork or Pages team, please post whether this can be added as a new feature in future versions... and if not, a reason why i.e. spiritual UI debate on other thread."

1. To my knowledge, no. But the page thumbnails sidebar can be made much wider than shown, and the three palettes you have open do float, so one or more of them could be placed in the sidebar on the left (covering, if necessary, one or more of the page thumbnails).

2. Apple doesn't comment on future plans or possibilities. If this is, to you, an important feature enhancement, make a request for it to be added to a future edition of Pages, using the Provide Pages Feedback link in the Pages menu. Or use the link I've provided here. Both go to the same place, and messages sent via this route go directly to Apple.

Regards,

Barry

Mar 20, 2013 7:01 PM in response to fruhulda

Sure (Sorry to bring this up a year later).

For me, I would like to have half of my screen show the web browser, and the other half of the screen to show Pages. Right now it looks like this: http://imgur.com/6oJqur6

While I know it may seem very nit-picky, it is very bothering to me that the actual "page" within Pages.app that I am working on is snug to the upper left corner of Pages.app. It would please my eyes, and thus mind, so much more if I could center that page in the middle of Pages.app

Jun 20, 2013 4:14 AM in response to JustinWhite

Justin, I'd just like to add that I immediately understand what your issue is with the look of the document window. To my eyes as well, I like to resize a window and have an even margin on either side. This isn't just a Microsoft thing either; lots of light text editors like Byword display text centred with even margins on either side which grow or shrink evenly when you resize the window. I think this option could and should be added to Pages, and I'll send them a request for it as well.

cheers,

Sam

Jun 20, 2013 4:27 AM in response to samvs

As I said before, using the comment bar gives a 'margin' on the other side, which works well:

I know this is a couple of months after the original post, but after briefly fiddling with pages I found a way round it by using the 'comment bar' to be the left side grey area:

Make sure you have extended the window so some grey area is showing on the right

Make sure you have some content in your document (a few of words will do)

Click on the add comment button next to the charts and tables buttons.

No just delete the comment box you just made by clicking the X and...

Voila!

Yes..I know the area on the left is not resizable, but it works well and for us word converts it is perfect!!!

Cheers

MrMaxo3000

Center a document within the Pages window/workspace?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.