Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does it mean by the iPhone 4S is a world phone and is global ready???

I have an iPhone 4S and I was wondering what it means by global ready. I'm going to India soon and I was thinking that since it's a world phone, would it need to be unlocked to work there??/ Thanks for your help. 🙂

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 12:56 PM

The iPhone 4S is a combination GSM/CDMA phone.

The iPhone 4S is sold as unlocked in many countries. If purchased as unlocked, you can use the iPhone 4S with a micro-SIM card provided by any GSM network provider.

If the iPhone 4S is activated with a CDMA network provider, you can ask the CDMA network provider to unlock the GSM portion of the iPhone.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2012 12:56 PM in response to Community User

The iPhone 4S is a combination GSM/CDMA phone.

The iPhone 4S is sold as unlocked in many countries. If purchased as unlocked, you can use the iPhone 4S with a micro-SIM card provided by any GSM network provider.

If the iPhone 4S is activated with a CDMA network provider, you can ask the CDMA network provider to unlock the GSM portion of the iPhone.

What does it mean by the iPhone 4S is a world phone and is global ready???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.