Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder sidebar missing

Since a few days I'm having this weird "issue" with finder:

When I open "User" or "Downloads" I have no sidebar. The option to show it is greyed out and I can't activate it anywere...

When I open finder with "Documents", "Music" or any other shortcut I do have the sidebar and everything looks right.

I reinstalled Lion but it didn't fix the problem...

I hope you guys can help me...

Thanks in advance,
Wim

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 2:20 PM

I just discovered a solution myself...

Looks like there is a "Hide Toolbar" function which has the effect described above. Right clicking on the toolbar and deselectig "hide toolbar" fixes the issue. I thought I'd share this solution for all those who have the same issues.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2012 2:20 PM in response to Community User

I just discovered a solution myself...

Looks like there is a "Hide Toolbar" function which has the effect described above. Right clicking on the toolbar and deselectig "hide toolbar" fixes the issue. I thought I'd share this solution for all those who have the same issues.

Jan 29, 2012 2:23 PM in response to Community User

Go to Finder "Go" menu hold the option key and choose Library. Then go to Preferences trash these files:

com.apple.finder.plist

com.apple.sidebarlists.plist

Then, restart, or log out and in again.

(You will have to reset a few finder prefs the way you like them.)

EDIT:

Looks like there is a "Hide Toolbar" function which has the effect described above.

Yup, that'll do it!

Finder sidebar missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.