Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Personal hotspot (wifi) not working

For the past day, my iPhone 4S is refusing to allow tethering. I have gone through a series of troubleshooting steps such as going into airplane mode, disabling wifi and cell data, disabling and re-enabling the hotspot function, to no effect. I am in a 3G service area and nothing has changed as to my environment in the last day. Data works on the phone itself. My computer is unable to see the wireless network created by the iPhone, and even when plugged in via USB, the iPhone USB entry in the Network preference pane reads "Either the cable for iPhone USB is not plugged in or the device is not responding."

Any ideas?

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 4:37 PM

3 replies

Jan 29, 2012 7:18 PM in response to Joel Nelson

Restarted all devices and I can again tether via USB but wifi and Bluetooth tethering is still not working. However, I can connect to other wifi devices via the phone so I know the hardware is still working. Still need to further troubleshoot to determine if it's an iOS/iPhone issue or a software glitch on my Mac, or something different.

Personal hotspot (wifi) not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.