Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i take RAM out of my old iMac (2008) and put it in my new iMac(2011)?

I added 2GB of RAM to my 2008 iMac. Can I add this to my new iMac (2011)? It came with 4GB of RAM.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 5:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 5:20 PM

Can you post your model identifier number on both please so we can pull up the specifications for both. You can find it by going to the apple, choose About this Mac, click on more info on the old Mac and System report on the new one; you'll find a window like this:

User uploaded file

Please post that information (no serial # please).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2012 5:20 PM in response to winkandasmile1

Can you post your model identifier number on both please so we can pull up the specifications for both. You can find it by going to the apple, choose About this Mac, click on more info on the old Mac and System report on the new one; you'll find a window like this:

User uploaded file

Please post that information (no serial # please).

Jan 29, 2012 9:06 PM in response to babowa

Thank you for responding to my question. The old iMac is packed up, but the info I do have is the following:

iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (I got it in March 2008). It came with 1GB of RAM, I added the following:

2GB 1x2GB 667 DDR2 PC2-5300 SO-DIMM (purchased 12/08).

My new computer is iMac 2.7GHz Intel Core i5, Memory: 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (2x2GB).

I hope that's enough information.

Thanks!

can i take RAM out of my old iMac (2008) and put it in my new iMac(2011)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.