Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error message pops up then disappears, "stealth mode connection"

Hi guys -

Over the past few months I would have this message that pops up but would go away relly fast so I have no idea what it says. It has a yellow exclamation mark on it, I think, but it's so fast. I saw someone said to go under my console and see what it says. I saw a bunch of messages that say stealth mode connection attempt...what does that mean?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 5:24 PM

10 replies

Jan 30, 2012 1:04 PM in response to Hallie White

As long as you're in stealth mode with the firewall turned on there's nothing to worry about. We all get those connection attempts. I don't think that popup is related. There was someone here a while ago who was getting similar popups. Maybe some clues here. We'd probably have to know every third party program you have installed to even begin to guess where it's coming from.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3470434?start=0&tstart=0

Have a look in Security>Firewall>Advanced. Do you have "Automatically allow signed software to receive...." checked? Should be unchecked. "Block all incoming..." should be checked if you don't use those features.

User uploaded file

Jan 30, 2012 5:41 PM in response to Hallie White

I will retract what I said. Basically, you want to turn off whatever isn't absolutely necessary. If you discover that something gets broken by doing this, then go back and allow whatever is needed, on a per Application basis. In my case, none of that is needed, hence my settings. But you may need to set yours differently. The idea is to configure the minimum needed. Yours are probably OK.

For now, you could probably turn off all the Printer Sharing, including Image Capture Extension. Then turn that back on when you are home.

In Sharing, only turn on File sharing when it is needed. Leave it turned off at all other times. Only allow other sharing if absolutely needed.

Here's an Apple article for some further reading. Click on "Configuring the Application Firewall in OS X 10.6 and later."

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1810

and

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/enable-firewall-mac-os-snow-leopard/

Jan 30, 2012 5:48 PM in response to Hallie White

Hallie White wrote:

I'm in college and I connect to my university's wifi. Do any of you know what the error message is that comes up and goes away?

I don't know about the error message. But don't disable the firewall's stealth mode. You'll get some message in the appfirewall.log, but, in your situation, it's much better for it to be on.

As for your other settings, block all incoming connections -- unless you wish to give access to others to resources on your own Mac, such shared files or printers connected to your computer. And my guess would be that you have no need to do that.

Error message pops up then disappears, "stealth mode connection"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.