Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bootcamp partition no longer visible in OS X but still bootable (via Option)

I have a MacBook Pro (A1286) that I've owned for about a year now, running OS X 10.6.8 and until recently Windows Vista Business on the bootcamp partition. I recently acquired Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and wanted to run that and in the process of installing encountered a harddrive issue (not what I'm inquiring about here).

So, to the point - got the new harddrive, did a fresh install of 10.5.5 from the shipped system discs, ran updates, installed 10.6.6 from the Snow Leopard Family Pack, again ran updates, and then proceeded with a fresh install of Win7 via bootcamp. It's a 320GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue, that I segmented into 220GB = OS X and 100GB = Bootcamp/Win7.

Got Win7 up and running and updates added there as well. Went to reboot back to OS X and all is fine, except in the Finder and on Desktop I cannot see my Bootcamp partition at all, and my OS X partition seems to be reporting the drive space as though nothing is changed.

Fearing the worst, I put in my Win7 DVD, restarted the MacBook and held down Option during reboot (thinking I would boot to the DVD and then try to run a repair) only to discover that my Win7 Bootcamp was not only still there, but bootable (I'm typing from it right now).

I rebooted back and forth a couple times, and I simply cannot see the partition in OS X, again in the Finder, Desktop or even in Startup Disk in the System options. Yet clearly it is still here and functions.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Or how to repair it? (For those inclined to say undo it in bootcamp assistant and then redo it, please refrain - I can figure that one out on my own ;-} - it took a lot of time to build and I'm looking for a solution that avoids rebuilding it). Is it somehow just hidden and I don't know how it came about? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for any insights! Cheers!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD Win7

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 8:48 PM

There are no replies.

bootcamp partition no longer visible in OS X but still bootable (via Option)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.