Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Every couple of weeks I get a dialogue box that says "Time machine completed a verification of your backups. To improve reliability Time machine must create a new backup for you. This takes hours and wipes everything - What can I do?

I am using Lion. My Time Capsule is a new 2TB one. It is connected wirelessly to my 27 inch imac and to my 17 inch Macbook Pro. This has happened at least 4 times now. I did repair disc utilities etc but it still keeps happening.

Mac OS X (10.7.2), signal frequency interference

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 9:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 12:53 PM

Does it happen on both the imac and the MBP?

Does it happen at the same time (assuming yes to the above)?

Have you done any upgrades to OS, since installing the TC or were both computers running Lion when this happened?

Do you store anything else on the TC or is it purely used for TM backups?

Did you talk to Apple support people about it? I think it is important for you to talk to them so the issue is being recorded, even if they don't have a solution. The problem is reported fairly often here.. but none that I see have reported it happening on a regular basis.

See pondini KB

http://pondini.org/TM/C13.html

I would be inclined to do as Pondini says, but include a disk erase and perhaps even a reset of TM. Do the setup of the TC again and make sure you run the first backup by ethernet. That might mean a bit of work to actually rearrange your network back to previous setup before you introduced the TC.. Turn off TM on one computer so you can plug the other in directly by ethernet.. run the backup.. it will be fairly quick by ethernet cf. wireless. Once finished swap it over. I would also be inclined to do a full backup image of the computer using another software.. CCC for instance. That means you have a backup which is not continually written to and removes the possiblity of corruption.

Keep track of what you do.. and if the failure happens again, which unfortunately it well might.. I would look to avoiding using wireless or go to some effort to setup wireless to use 5ghz on the laptop and perhaps cable the imac.. Long backups over wireless if you are in a situation where you get interference could be the issue.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2012 12:53 PM in response to christinefromwombarra

Does it happen on both the imac and the MBP?

Does it happen at the same time (assuming yes to the above)?

Have you done any upgrades to OS, since installing the TC or were both computers running Lion when this happened?

Do you store anything else on the TC or is it purely used for TM backups?

Did you talk to Apple support people about it? I think it is important for you to talk to them so the issue is being recorded, even if they don't have a solution. The problem is reported fairly often here.. but none that I see have reported it happening on a regular basis.

See pondini KB

http://pondini.org/TM/C13.html

I would be inclined to do as Pondini says, but include a disk erase and perhaps even a reset of TM. Do the setup of the TC again and make sure you run the first backup by ethernet. That might mean a bit of work to actually rearrange your network back to previous setup before you introduced the TC.. Turn off TM on one computer so you can plug the other in directly by ethernet.. run the backup.. it will be fairly quick by ethernet cf. wireless. Once finished swap it over. I would also be inclined to do a full backup image of the computer using another software.. CCC for instance. That means you have a backup which is not continually written to and removes the possiblity of corruption.

Keep track of what you do.. and if the failure happens again, which unfortunately it well might.. I would look to avoiding using wireless or go to some effort to setup wireless to use 5ghz on the laptop and perhaps cable the imac.. Long backups over wireless if you are in a situation where you get interference could be the issue.

Jan 30, 2012 5:59 PM in response to christinefromwombarra

Thank you very much for the advice. In answer to the questions it has happened on both computers but not at the same time. I think both were running Lion when it started. After posting the question I found on the Pondini website that this is a very common and inexplicable error. I have decided to cut my losses. I think my problem is that I am backing up wirelessly. With the TC downstairs plugged into my phone line and the imac upstairs it is too hard to connect by cable. So from now on will use TC as just a wireless router and have bought a WD MyBook Studio to connect on the desktop to backup the imac. Fingers crossed. I will raise it with Apple support as suggested.

Every couple of weeks I get a dialogue box that says "Time machine completed a verification of your backups. To improve reliability Time machine must create a new backup for you. This takes hours and wipes everything - What can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.