Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does it mean: Error -36?.

Appears when I'm opening files from an AFP server.

The file has all permissions ok.

Thanks!. (And sorry for my english, well, Google Translate english). 😉

Nacho

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 2:02 AM

2 replies

Jan 30, 2012 10:23 AM in response to Nacho_Cuevas

Hello, translation is good.

If it were SMB/Windows sharing then...

For error -36, might try this...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301580

But for AFP, in pure Apple File System talk... -36 ioErr I/O error (bummers)

Not very helpful, but generally means a Drive quit being Readable or Writable since starting the operation...

http://fuzzy.wordpress.com/2006/12/10/ioerror-36/

Jun 17, 2012 4:58 PM in response to Nacho_Cuevas

I received this error message when attempting to mount a volume on a 10.6.8 MacMini using an iBook running 10.2.8. I checked the options and everything seemed correct: the ethernet was working correctly on both computers, AppleTalk was active on both, and File Sharing was enabled on the MacMini. I had successfully connected these computers earlier in the day. I also noticed that if I selected Go > Connect to Server... in the Finder that none of the computers on my network would appear.

On the system attempting to connect (e.g. the iBook running 10.2.8) I went in the System Preferences, Network and selected the AppleTalk tab. I disabled AppleTalk and applied the changes then waited a few seconds, enabled AppleTalk, and applied the changes. When I selected Go > Connect to Server... in the Finder, my computers reappeared and I was able to connect to the system.

Although I don't have an explanation for the error, this was something that worked for me. I hope it helps you.

What does it mean: Error -36?.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.