Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I trim audio and video simultaneously so they stay sync'ed?

Hi, all...

I want to trim the beginning of a video clip and its separate audio clip simultaneously.

I used 3 claps to synchronize a separately recorded audio track with the video. I added the audio track and displayed the audio waveforms from both the video itself and the separate track, and then I dragged the separate track until the 3 peaks (claps) aligned in both. These are shown as the first 3 peaks in the image below. Now the tracks are sync'ed.

User uploaded file

But now I want to trim those claps from the beginning of both the audio and video clips at the same time. Ideally I could select both the audio and video tracks and trim both in one operation, which would eliminate the beginning but keep them sync'ed.

How do I accomplish this?

Thanks

Steve

iMovie '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 12:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 3:20 PM

This is not a feature of iMovie. It is easily done in Final Cut Pro X.

You can simulate this function in iMovie with a workaround.

First line up the ausio with the video track. Do this in a new project where this is the only clip. Then export the clip in a high quality codec. I recommend SHARE/EXPORT USING QUICKTIME/ using Apple Intermediate Codec.

You will now have a .mov file in Apple Intermediate Codec. Import this clip back into the iMovie Event using FILE/IMPORT/MOVIE. You can now edit it as one piece.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2012 3:20 PM in response to sfogel2

This is not a feature of iMovie. It is easily done in Final Cut Pro X.

You can simulate this function in iMovie with a workaround.

First line up the ausio with the video track. Do this in a new project where this is the only clip. Then export the clip in a high quality codec. I recommend SHARE/EXPORT USING QUICKTIME/ using Apple Intermediate Codec.

You will now have a .mov file in Apple Intermediate Codec. Import this clip back into the iMovie Event using FILE/IMPORT/MOVIE. You can now edit it as one piece.

How do I trim audio and video simultaneously so they stay sync'ed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.