5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2013 9:11 AM by R3mco
Andreas_D Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi,

I have a friend (who I helped set up his wireless network) with a wireless network created by an Airport Extreme (V). Now, I would like to hook an external harddrive to his AEX. I foresee no problems accessing this harddrive from other computers.

My first question is; Can I access this harddrive (with films and music) wirelessly from my PS3 WITHOUT any PC/Mac being run in parallell. I got this to work at home but I have a NAS and it is no problem, but can it be done without a NAS solution? Just working as an AirPort Disk and a a PS3?

Secondly, I haven't hooked the USB disk to the AEX yet. Foolishly, I haven't checked whether it needs to be formatted in a certain way. It is now filled with stuff - do I need to format it for the use with the AEX?

Thanks guys!

Andreas

Airport Extreme (V)
  • Tesserax Level 8 Level 8 (49,860 points)

My first question is; Can I access this harddrive (with films and music) wirelessly from my PS3 WITHOUT any PC/Mac being run in parallell. I got this to work at home but I have a NAS and it is no problem, but can it be done without a NAS solution? Just working as an AirPort Disk and a a PS3?

Although an AirPort Disk (an external HDD attached to either an AirPort Extreme or a Time Capsule) is a type of NAS device, it is NOT a DLNA-compliant media server. Thus it cannot "serve" multimedia files stored on the AirPort Disk to the PS3 (which is a DNLA-compliant media player) ... so you will still need a PC/Mac to do what you are looking for.

Secondly, I haven't hooked the USB disk to the AEX yet. Foolishly, I haven't checked whether it needs to be formatted in a certain way. It is now filled with stuff - do I need to format it for the use with the AEX?

In order to be shared out by the AirPort Extreme, the USB drive must be formatted in either HFS+ or FAT32. Drives, formatted in either NTFS or ExFAT, will need to be reformatted.

• Andreas_D Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks Tesserax!

Although a bit sad, I kind of expected this on number one question. Would you know why it doesn't support normal NTFS?

Thanks!

Andreas

• Tesserax Level 8 Level 8 (49,860 points)

Would you know why it doesn't support normal NTFS?

I would have to assume that it was a decision by Apple not to support this disk format for their AirPort's file sharing service.

• Lbz17 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Although an AirPort Disk (an external HDD attached to either an AirPort Extreme or a Time Capsule) is a type of NAS device, it is NOT a DLNA-compliant media server. Thus it cannot "serve" multimedia files stored on the AirPort Disk to the PS3 (which is a DNLA-compliant media player) ... so you will still need a PC/Mac to do what you are looking for.

Hey Tesserax,

I have this same issue.. You said that "you will need a PC/Mac to do what you are looking for." How would that work exactly? I have a HD hooked up to my AEX, I also have a desktop pc that I don't currently use. Is there a way to use that desktop pc to solve this issue?

• R3mco Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

A year later I encounter the same problem, but confused because my LG BluRay Player had no problem browsing the AE attached HDD without turning the iMac or MacBook on. I wonder why?