Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PS3 and Extreme external harddrive

Hi,

I have a friend (who I helped set up his wireless network) with a wireless network created by an Airport Extreme (V). Now, I would like to hook an external harddrive to his AEX. I foresee no problems accessing this harddrive from other computers.

My first question is; Can I access this harddrive (with films and music) wirelessly from my PS3 WITHOUT any PC/Mac being run in parallell. I got this to work at home but I have a NAS and it is no problem, but can it be done without a NAS solution? Just working as an AirPort Disk and a a PS3?

Secondly, I haven't hooked the USB disk to the AEX yet. Foolishly, I haven't checked whether it needs to be formatted in a certain way. It is now filled with stuff - do I need to format it for the use with the AEX?

Thanks guys!

Andreas

Airport Extreme (V)-OTHER

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 3:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 9:21 AM

My first question is; Can I access this harddrive (with films and music) wirelessly from my PS3 WITHOUT any PC/Mac being run in parallell. I got this to work at home but I have a NAS and it is no problem, but can it be done without a NAS solution? Just working as an AirPort Disk and a a PS3?

Although an AirPort Disk (an external HDD attached to either an AirPort Extreme or a Time Capsule) is a type of NAS device, it is NOT a DLNA-compliant media server. Thus it cannot "serve" multimedia files stored on the AirPort Disk to the PS3 (which is a DNLA-compliant media player) ... so you will still need a PC/Mac to do what you are looking for.

Secondly, I haven't hooked the USB disk to the AEX yet. Foolishly, I haven't checked whether it needs to be formatted in a certain way. It is now filled with stuff - do I need to format it for the use with the AEX?

In order to be shared out by the AirPort Extreme, the USB drive must be formatted in either HFS+ or FAT32. Drives, formatted in either NTFS or ExFAT, will need to be reformatted.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2012 9:21 AM in response to Andreas_D

Although an AirPort Disk (an external HDD attached to either an AirPort Extreme or a Time Capsule) is a type of NAS device, it is NOT a DLNA-compliant media server. Thus it cannot "serve" multimedia files stored on the AirPort Disk to the PS3 (which is a DNLA-compliant media player) ... so you will still need a PC/Mac to do what you are looking for.

In order to be shared out by the AirPort Extreme, the USB drive must be formatted in either HFS+ or FAT32. Drives, formatted in either NTFS or ExFAT, will need to be reformatted.

Mar 2, 2012 5:17 PM in response to Tesserax

Hey Tesserax,

I have this same issue.. You said that "you will need a PC/Mac to do what you are looking for." How would that work exactly? I have a HD hooked up to my AEX, I also have a desktop pc that I don't currently use. Is there a way to use that desktop pc to solve this issue?

PS3 and Extreme external harddrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.