Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time capsule dead paperweight

Had my Time Capsule for about 2yrs. Time Cap died yesterday. Is there any way to retrieve the data on its storage? Do I have to take it into Apple to retrieve data?

Hardly check it, since it's mostly automatic. But yesterday, green light was off. Unplugged it & replugged it in- no green or yellow light. Replugged it into a different outlet- still dead paperweight. Could it be just a the power plug, or power jack, or something with the power regulation?

iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 3:51 AM

10 replies

Jan 30, 2012 6:09 AM in response to marv7

If the indicator light is completely dark I'd suspect the power supply. If the hard drive has crashed the router should still work.

Remove the WAN cable, plug the power cord in and push in the reset button with a toothpick or other suitable object for three seconds and see if it comes back to life. If it doesn't, you may be able to recover the contents of the hard drive either by taking it to an Apple store (if it's warranty) or removing the drive yourself, putting it in a USB enclosure and connecting it to your Mac.

Jan 30, 2012 7:38 AM in response to marv7

You also have the option of repairing the Time Capsule if you choose.

Chances are, the hard drive is just fine and repairs to the power supply section will have you up and running soon.

For more info, see the link below provided by forum expert LePastenague:

http://sites.google.com/site/lapastenague/a-deconstruction-of-routers-and-modems /apple-time-capsule-repairers

Feb 4, 2012 7:39 PM in response to marv7

thanks for the suggestions, guys. appreciate it.

another issue- 3 days later, i plugged in said "dead" Time Cap into AC power, & the Grn light lit up for about 10 sec, & then turned to blinking Yellow for another 15sec. it then turned off completely. does this still go with the faulty power supply issue?

still leaning towards repair of the power supply. thanks again for the Time Cap repair link.

Feb 5, 2012 4:49 PM in response to marv7

if the time capsule is less then 2 years old and you have a applecare covered computer, its still under warranty!!

is it possible that you have the older time capsules that have been given free secret warranties because of faulty power supplies??

Is Your Time Capsule Eligible?

However, with the widespread complaints of spotty performance, including randomly shutting off or not turning on at all, Apple has announced that they will extend warranties for certain serial numbers that are affected. If your Time Capsule’s serial number is in the range of XX807XXXXXX XX814XXXXXX and was purchased between February and June of 2008, you may be eligible for a repair or replacement. This, of course, is only a possibility if your Time Capsule is experiencing the described issues.

If your Time Capsule is experiencing these issues and falls in the serial number range and time frame of purchase, there are numerous ways of submitting it to Apple. The most timely approach would be to take your Time Capsule to your local Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Feb 8, 2012 12:46 AM in response to rigormortis

Thank rigormortis .

i am having those trouble- randomly shutting off, & then not turning on. i'm thinking mine was purchased later 08. trying to find the receipt. but this would put me outside of the 2yr limitation.

for the Serial Nmb, mine is not in either of those ranges-- it's XX809 XXXXXX.

thanks all the same. didn't even know about the secret warranties.

Mar 21, 2012 7:51 PM in response to Bob Timmons

hi Bob:

you mentioned that site for repairs, lapastenague/a-deconstruction-of-routers-and-modems /apple-time-capsule-repairers

it doesn't really mention or explain details for repairing / replacing the power supply. they just give out phone numbers for repair shops in the states, or numbers for repairs in other countries. do you have any other options for shops in California, which can do repairs on T Cap, for fairly inexpensive price?

i appreciate the help,

thanks,

Mar 21, 2012 8:07 PM in response to marv7

marv7 wrote:

hi Bob:

you mentioned that site for repairs, lapastenague/a-deconstruction-of-routers-and-modems /apple-time-capsule-repairers

it doesn't really mention or explain details for repairing / replacing the power supply. they just give out phone numbers for repair shops in the states, or numbers for repairs in other countries. do you have any other options for shops in California, which can do repairs on T Cap, for fairly inexpensive price?

i appreciate the help,

thanks,

There are specific instructions for repairing the power supply..

https://sites.google.com/site/lapastenague/a-deconstruction-of-routers-and-modem s/apple-time-capsule-repair/apple-time-capsule-repair-type2

And there are many suggestions of other methods. Which are better as the internal power supply will fail again.

There are no phone numbers given out on the site.. none whatsoever.

I have listed all the people who have offered to do repairs. There are no parts made available so most repair centres cannot repair them.. apple do not provide parts as they consider it a sealed unit.

There are two people in the list from CA.. did you ask them??

USA

Dale Mosher

Kissimmee, FL

spamnot46@mac.com

David Wolff

San Jose, CA

axweebie@gmail.com

Ilya Slashchev

Harrisonburg, Virginia

Ilya@blueridgemac.com

Larry Heiberger
St. Louis, MO / Midwest
lhibrgr@gmail.com
http://www.freewebs.com/tcrepair/

Robert Reardon

Kingsburg, CA

rreardon2317@gmail.com

Time capsule dead paperweight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.