Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri doesn't hear me

Siri doesn't hear me

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 9:15 AM

9 replies

Sep 25, 2012 10:41 AM in response to Whalelum

It's tricky, and not at all intuitive.

You have to start with the phone in front of you, held parallelto the floor (ie. held flat horizontally), then bring it up to your ear so it's vertical with a normal, smooth motion. Your hand must rotate from the horizontal to vertical position of the phone.

If you start with the phone vertically in front of your face, then move it to your ear Siri will NOT activate.

They key is starting with the phone held horizontally. The motion from horizontal to vertical is necessary. It uses the motion sensor as well as the proximity sensor.

This is illustrated on page 39 of the iPhone User Manual.

Jun 30, 2014 2:22 PM in response to Whalelum

This is NOT a blocked microphone issue. This is a FLAW in the product. Too many people (inclding myself) are having this issue. Only 10 minutes spent on the forums will show this consistant flaw. Apple needs to figure out what is happening and offer us a real solution. Since I have discovered this issue, I have had many recordings ruined, inclding taking my 2 year old son on his first slide, his first kiddie-coaster, and the first time he has helped me squeeze fresh orange juice. Apple consistantly ignores design flaws and it's gettng old.

Jun 30, 2014 2:26 PM in response to markniels

markniels wrote:

This is NOT a blocked microphone issue. This is a FLAW in the product. Too many people (inclding myself) are having this issue. Only 10 minutes spent on the forums will show this consistant flaw. Apple needs to figure out what is happening and offer us a real solution. Since I have discovered this issue, I have had many recordings ruined, inclding taking my 2 year old son on his first slide, his first kiddie-coaster, and the first time he has helped me squeeze fresh orange juice. Apple consistantly ignores design flaws and it's gettng old.

So what did the people at the Genius bar say when you took your phone to the Apple store in to have it examine?

Because you ranting about Apple in a user to user forum isn't going to help you as there is no Apple here.

Apr 14, 2015 12:41 PM in response to robert125

My Siri also doesn't work.I've been twice to Genius bar and they refuse to help me.I am not using Siri at all but push to talk apps do not work also often video recordings are without the audio.The genius guy today told me that I have too many apps open ,that's why I have issues.My phone is deaf and I already regret that I spent that much for apple care and the iphone.

May 18, 2015 8:13 AM in response to mims11

Hey ! I hope everyone is doing well. Out of nowhere, I had the same problem happen to my mic. iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3. My phone was in my pocket while i was seating, and sometimes I clean my screen my spraying cleaning solution on it - so the sweat (or cleaning liquid) could have gotten inside the microphone in the earpiece (next to the front facing camera) and disabled it. To test this, try recording a front facing video with sound. If it works, then its not the microphone inside the earpiece. If it's very low, static-like, fuzzy, or not working at all, its the mic. I tried tapping it with my finger to no avail, and then I took my phone, held it normally and tapped it against my thigh a couple times... it WORKED! AT FIRST, it made the sound a little better. Then I did some more taps and it fixed it. I can't tell, however, if the sound now has more "Hiss"/white noise than before, (like in all videos...there is that Hum") but over all it sounds much MUCH better. I believe it is back to normal.

Siri doesn't hear me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.