Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

err = -50 when downloading from store

Hi,

I'm using my Macbook Air with the latest Lion OS and am trying to dowmload a TV episode from the itunes store. It's not the first time I've purchased and it's always been successful before. I've purchased a series pass for a TV series, but when trying to download Episode 1 the download stops with Err = -50 and I get a pop-up telling me to check my network connection. Episode 2 has downloaded ok with no probs. I've tried checking & unchecking the allow simmultaneous downloads box & have rebooted too.

I'm getting desperate now as I can't watch the rest of the series without seeing the 1st episode!!

Can anyone help a woman in distress please?

Thanks, Jo

MacBook Air, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 3:34 PM

Try deleting the partial cached downloads in the iTunes media folder.

That error is outlined here -> iTunes: Advanced iTunes Store troubleshooting

"Error -50," "-5000," "8003," "8008," or "-42023"

These alerts occur due to timeouts or conflicts trying to write a file during download.

If you encounter this issue while accessing iTunes Store:

See iTunes 9: "One Moment Please" or "Error (-50)" message when accessing iTunes Store

If you encounter this issue while while downloading something from the iTunes Store:

Delete your iTunes Downloads folder, located in:

Mac OS X:
 ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Downloads Note: "iTunes Media" may appear as "iTunes Music. Also, the tilde (~) refers to your Home directory.

Windows Vista:
 \Users\username\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Downloads\

Windows 7:
 \Users\username\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Downloads\

Windows XP:
 \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Downloads\

After locating your iTunes Downloads folder:

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Delete the Downloads folder on your computer.
  3. Open iTunes.
  4. Choose Store > Check for Available Downloads.
  5. Enter your account name and password.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2012 3:34 PM in response to Jo_P

Try deleting the partial cached downloads in the iTunes media folder.

That error is outlined here -> iTunes: Advanced iTunes Store troubleshooting

"Error -50," "-5000," "8003," "8008," or "-42023"

These alerts occur due to timeouts or conflicts trying to write a file during download.

If you encounter this issue while accessing iTunes Store:

See iTunes 9: "One Moment Please" or "Error (-50)" message when accessing iTunes Store

If you encounter this issue while while downloading something from the iTunes Store:

Delete your iTunes Downloads folder, located in:

Mac OS X:
 ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Downloads Note: "iTunes Media" may appear as "iTunes Music. Also, the tilde (~) refers to your Home directory.

Windows Vista:
 \Users\username\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Downloads\

Windows 7:
 \Users\username\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Downloads\

Windows XP:
 \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Downloads\

After locating your iTunes Downloads folder:

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Delete the Downloads folder on your computer.
  3. Open iTunes.
  4. Choose Store > Check for Available Downloads.
  5. Enter your account name and password.

Apr 5, 2012 8:43 AM in response to whatheck

I am having a similar err -50 problem, but deleting the TV shows folder(s) in Downloads doesn't help.

I followed your Windows XP suggestions.

I can play the program from the Cloud on the same computer and I can download it to my iPad 2.

When I try to check the available downloads, the program tries to download but stops with the same errors.

At times, I was getting multiple parallel downloads of the same program, but they all failed.

So, there must be another file that indicates this file needs to be downloaded and that may be mucking up the process.

Can you help please?

There may be a related issue, too.

I found I have some completed downloads of other programs in the Downloads folder, but they have not been moved into my library.

Is there a simple way to move them there, please?

Dec 18, 2013 11:21 AM in response to Jo_P

This error seems to be very generic. I tried all of the above 'fixes' to no avail. I then noticed that I had only 170Mb free on my iTunes drive. I cleared off a couple of gigs and now iTunes is working. It would be nice if iTunes should report a usable informational error like "not enough space left on storage device" instead of a generic -50 error.

Mar 28, 2014 8:05 PM in response to LinuxIsLookingBetterAndBetter

I am having a similar problem except with mine, i am trying to download a song but when i enter my password it comes up with Error (-50). Also, as soon as i open itunes it says "We could not complete your itunes request. The network connection could not be established". Please help as i cant do anything with my account. I am on a Mac Book air 13" OS X. My store used to be normal but now its buggy.

PLEASE HELP

SOS

err = -50 when downloading from store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.