6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2012 7:41 AM by joyss
joyss Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

When I try to put quotation marks before a vowel I get ä, or ë or ï.  Now, wen I try to put parentheses around a C, I get ©.  How do I get rid of this genii, and why, suddenly is my font size larger????

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)
  • Paul_31 Level 6 Level 6 (13,195 points)

Have a look in System Preferences>Language and Text>Text tab and deselect the 'shortcuts' you don't want:

Screen Shot 2012-01-30 at 22.17.21.jpg

For the large text problem, maybe zoom is turned on. Have a look in System Preferences>Universal Access>Seeing tab and make sure Zoom is off.

• Tom Gewecke Level 9 Level 9 (75,385 points)

Go to system preferences/language & text/input sources and make sure the box for US International PC is NOT checked and that the box for US is the only one checked.

If that is OK and you still have the problem, check and see if you have any fonts from OS 9, normally dated in the 1990's.

• K T Level 7 Level 7 (23,700 points)

Look in /Applications/ for Font Book...run it and check all font health...also find and remove duplicates, outdated~incompatible fonts etc.

Good luck w/your writing

• joyss Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you all for your help, problem is solved. One more question.  Is there a key combination to make a number a subscript?  I am now using com-shift-(-) to make it smaller.  Thanks.

• Tom Gewecke Level 9 Level 9 (75,385 points)

joyss wrote:

Thank you all for your help, problem is solved.

Can you tell us what caused it?  That is useful in case it comes up again.

• joyss Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I used Paul's suggestion to remove the copywrite error, and yours, Tom, to "make sure the box for US International PC is NOT checked and that the box for US is the only one checked."  I think that the font enlargement is due to my sick mouse. It brings up the strangest things when I click on various parts of it, and I have ordered a new one.  I will use KT's advice in the near future.  Thanks again. 

Joyce L.

(*_*)