Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firmwarepassword with special charakters

Today I try out to set a firmwarepassword to my Macbook Air (late 2010) with a Lion-Installation - I read the introduction and it works - at least I thought it - unfortunatly I overlook that its only allowed to use charakters and numbers and not allowed to use special characters like "-"

So I filled in a password with "-" in the middle and it seems to work, but after a reboot the password doesnt work 😮

Can anybody help me?

Jan

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 4:38 PM

There used to be tricks to reset the firmware/EFI password, that no longer are available to the user of a MacBook Air due to non-removeable components. Really, you need to take it to a Genius Bar at an Apple Store for resolution of Firmware/EFI Password issues.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2391

2 replies

Feb 19, 2012 10:29 AM in response to SP Forsythe

Thanks for you answer.

Now I solve the problem on my own and its quite simple. I use a password with a special character like "-" an the the problem is that the Macbook use the US-Key-Layout at booting und so you fill in the wrong password. If you know the US-Key-Layout you can look at the place of the Keys on your Keyboard. Furthermore it is nice to know that the "y" and the "z" are reversed...

If you consider this rules you can use every password...

Greetings from Germany

Firmwarepassword with special charakters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.