Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hello: I was told to "repair disk" computer said couldn't repair HD have to erase. Did now what? Cant find HD to load OS. Please help me!

Hi everyone,

I first started off with the apple screen and the spinning wheel. I found on line and was told to put in the OS disc hold down the C button and turn on the power. I did that and it worked. I got thru the lauange and all the way to the steps of loading the OS on to the HD. I click on install than there was an error that said. "The contents of this disk cant be changed. Mac OS x coudn't be installed on this disk". So I found online that you can click on utilites in the bar. Then click on Dics Utility. A box would come up and click "first Aid" and make sure you are on the HD. Then stated to click on repair disk. I did that, the computer said that the disk can't be repaired that I would have to erase the HD. I did that, now im stuck. I go to load the operating systems back onto the HD and the computer or start up disk cant find the hard drive. But it shows it gray in the original box for the disc utility. If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it. Also this is the first time i have used a discussion board. Do I get emails when someone answers? if not my email is: mystic71978 at msn . com

Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 9:42 PM

9 replies

Jan 30, 2012 10:12 PM in response to mystic71978

I'll try to help you out:

Turn the computer on, insert your osx disc and shut down the computer by holding down the power button. To boot from the disc hold down the option key on start up before the chime and select the oSX disc as start up disc. When it starts (it will take a minute or two) select the language and go to the Utilities menu at the top and open the disc utility. Select the hard drive from the column on the left and then select erase. Erase the disc and format it as OSX extended (journaled). Then quit the disc utility and restart the installer. That should get it going again. If you still cannot select the hard drive in the installer window quit the installer and run the disc repair utility. If it comes up as an unrepairable drive it is toast and you will have to replace it.

Hello: I was told to "repair disk" computer said couldn't repair HD have to erase. Did now what? Cant find HD to load OS. Please help me!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.