Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install Canon MG6250 onto MacBook PRO running OS 10.2.7. Please help

I can't install canon MG6250 printer.

I'm on a MB Pro, OS 10.2.7.

Using system preferences, print and scan tab, try to add printer, no printers show up.

I've downloaded a CanonPrinterDrivers2.7.dmg which was suppose to be a driver update, nothing.

Reset printer via the holding down control but and reset in print and scan, reinstall driver, no luck.

Please help. This is frustrating.

Scott

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 4:19 AM

11 replies

Jan 31, 2012 4:58 AM in response to scottieeh

Let us resume step by step:

- you downloaded driver, is it the correct one? did you get it by going to canon website/support/drivers and it the one specified for your printer?

- did you install the driver?

- you attempted to connect after installing the driver of before?

- what does Canon say about Lion compatibility? is it specified it should work? (usually, HP and Canon have a good support for Mac OS X).

If you connect the printer to your USB port (is it direct connection, right?), trying to add printer automatically triggers web download of driver, did you see that? You see that only if you do not installer any driver or not install the correct driver.

Cannot identify your model on canon site/drivers and support.

Jan 31, 2012 5:14 AM in response to Cattus Thraex

Hi Cattus,

First of all I used the disc that came with the computer, it gave me a message which basically gave me a message saying this OS is unsupported and directs me to this website:

http://www.canon.com.au/Support-Services/Support-News/Lion-Support

Consumer Inkjet and Scanner Products

Important: Some older versions of Canon drivers will function with limitations on Mac OS X 10.7. Therefore it is recommended that you perform one of the following on Mac OS X 10.6 prior to updating to Mac OS X 10.7.

• Software Update - On the Mac running Mac OS X 10.6, perform a Software Update so that the Canon Printer Software Update v2.6 is installed and updates your existing printer drivers.
  • Manual Driver Removal - On the Mac running Mac OS X 10.6, open System Preferences > Print & Fax and remove your Canon printer or scanner. Then after you upgrade to Lion use Software Update to obtain the latest Canon driver from Apple.

On one of the links on the website, goes here:

http://support-au.canon.com.au/P/search?model=PIXMA+MG6250&menu=download&filter= 0&tagname=g_os&g_os=Mac%20OS%20X%20v10%2E7

I"m not 100% sure which driver to download.....tried this one:

MG6200 series Printer Update Utility Ver1.0 for Mac OS X

Didn't work.

Found this driver: CanonPrinterDrivers2.7.dmg (numerous websites). Nothing worked.

Yup, directly connected with USB (brand new) cable -> assuming it's communicating with printer, but when try to "add" new printer in Print and Scan tab in system preferences, the printer is not there.

Thanks,

Scott

Jan 31, 2012 5:47 AM in response to scottieeh

scottieeh

The strangest thing here is that you do not see the printer displayed as icon, this is the first thing to happen prior to selecting correct driver. If you do not see the new printer when going to sys prefs/print and fax, there is something not in order. Can you see the printer if you connect printer to another mac, using the same cable? You should beging with this test prior to any driver installed or not.

Feb 1, 2012 2:22 AM in response to scottieeh

Update.

I couldn't figure out the cable situation for the MG6250, so I just added it to my network and "voila" able to add it no problem.

The shop where I bought the cable from thought I had the wrong cable, nope, the cable they gave me didn't have a port to plug into the printer.

Anyone out there setup a MG6250 before with a USB cable?

Thanks.

Scottieeh

Feb 1, 2012 2:29 AM in response to scottieeh

scottieeh wrote:

Anyone out there setup a MG6250 before with a USB cable?

Yep. I was using my MG6250 today that was connected to my MBPro via USB cable.

With the printer connected via USB to the Mac, open System Information and select the USB entry under the Hardware section in the left column. The top right pane will show all the USB busses on the Mac and if the cable is working the MG6250 should be listed under one of these busses.

Cannot install Canon MG6250 onto MacBook PRO running OS 10.2.7. Please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.