Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.mac account password no longer accepted in mail

one day my mail started asking for my .mac account password and will not accept what I know to be the .mac password. My ipad and iphone .mac mail is working but my macbook pro and mac pro .mac mail accounts just stopped working. They say the server is "offline". any attempt bring bring the .mac or .me accounts online has failed. I am running 10.6.8. Help!?

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 5:43 AM

5 replies

Jan 31, 2012 6:16 AM in response to emily osborn

Time ago the service called .mac (DOTMAC) was replaced by MobileMe.

The user which had an account as .mac should have changed to .me that is yourmail@mac.com = yourmail@me.com.

Until now the 2 way to write are seen as alias, that is you should be able to use each one of the two.

The difference is in the settings of the mail programs. Now you have to put into your mail account as incoming server mail.me.com and for outgoing smtp.me.com

Check if it is as said or tray to change ther settings

For changin the incoming mail server may be you will see the field greyed out. In that case you need to reinstall tham mail account and choose MobileMe.

Nex step will be to move to iCloud but there is time until end of june.

Jan 31, 2012 11:54 PM in response to WALTER-MILANO-ITALY

Thanks for the tips. I checked and the outgoing and incoming servers are as you suggested in your post. I am still find that my password has been rejected. I did set up iCloud in early December but Mail is only now rejecting my password. I find when I go into mail preferences and check the mobile me account my password isn't there anymore but rather the field is blank Bly a minute after putting it in & saving it. I have even tried starting the account from scratch without any luck too.

Tips and advice are most appreciated!

Jan 31, 2012 11:58 PM in response to kurt188

Hi there, thanks for the link. I came across it in my earlier research. I tried the connection doctor but I am afraid I don't quite understand the notes it spits out. I noticed the problem started on the desktop and laptop last week out of the blue. I haven't changed or updated anything recently that I can think of so I am at a loss for why my password is being rejected. My account is a .me account but I still use the alias .mac.

Any suggestions?

Feb 1, 2012 12:42 AM in response to emily osborn

If you changed your mail from MM to iCloud the given settings are no more correct. Your mail is no more to be found on the MobileMe account.

Try to setup a new account for you in mail as follows:

You don't have to type any server info for your iCloud account.

System prefs > Mail, Contacts & Calendars - New account and select iCloud.

Are you able to connect to your mail from Safari ?

https://www.icloud.com/#mail

I do not understand why it worked until today.

After you have got a working Account in Mail for your iCloud account delete the other MM.

Under MM after your migration to iCloud remains only your iDisk, until June

Another tipp

.mac account password no longer accepted in mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.