Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PNG import in Aperture 3.2.2

I imported some PNG files recently, all with transparent backgrounds. Aperture mangled them superbly and made them nicely unsuable. Google's Picasa handled the files perfectly. Is this PNG problem known where Aperture is concerned and if that is the case, is a fix planned (sooner rather than later) ?

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 6:57 AM

4 replies

Jan 31, 2012 7:10 AM in response to mp1963

Aperture does not support alpha channel so the images would not show in Aperture with transparent backgrounds. However the files should not have been damaged in anyway as Aperture does not modify the master.

As for future support. No one can say what Apple will do but given the purpose of Aperture I doubt alpha channels will ever be supported.

Jan 9, 2013 7:54 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

So I take it nothing Apple makes supports transparency correctly. iPhoto sorta does but if the image is black on transparent you see a black box (I have about 400 of these) Aperture has no support at all and finder puts a white box around them so my white PNGs (again about 200 of these) can't be viewed in finder when I make the folder backgrouns gray. This is so annoying.

Jan 10, 2013 2:11 AM in response to Zak Adelman

But it is clearly stated (well, in one of the footnotes 😝) in the tech specs of Aperture, http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/

see the footnote 2:

Aperture maintains but does not display layer and alpha channel information in PSD files.

Aperture is designed to handle images imported from digital cameras:

Using Aperture, you can import JPEG images from virtually all digital cameras. Shooting RAW? Aperture supports the RAW formats from a wide range of digital SLRs and medium-format cameras and camera backs. You’ll find an extensive list of supported camera models on the RAW support page.

PNG import in Aperture 3.2.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.