Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCE Capture from Canon 2000x camera via external drive stop and go constant interruption.

I have problem with capturing into FCE footage from DV - using small canon 2000x camera. I am taking it into external drive. This has been happening at times before, but not to the extent with the present tape. Where is the problem? I tried to unclick "abort capture on dropped frames" - it does not make any difference.Please help

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Final Cut Express

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 9:24 AM

First, I don't believe there is a Canon 2000x model. That sounds like Canon's digital "zoom factor" on the FS-series, DC-series and other camcorders. What are you using ... an FS10, FS100, other model?

Second, are you using an external FW drive? If so, that's the reason you are getting interruptions. If you are using a camcorder with FW connection (usually a miniDV camcorder, especially Canons) then you really have to connect ONLY the camcorder to your Mac, and capture to your internal drive. Don't daisy-chain the camera with an external FW drive - that's the source of lots of capturing problems.

Third, your profile indicates you are using FCE on Lion (10.7.2) ... FCE is not supported on Lion. Was FCE already installed on your Mac before you upgraded to Lion? That could also be a source of capture problems.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2012 9:24 AM in response to canadanada

First, I don't believe there is a Canon 2000x model. That sounds like Canon's digital "zoom factor" on the FS-series, DC-series and other camcorders. What are you using ... an FS10, FS100, other model?

Second, are you using an external FW drive? If so, that's the reason you are getting interruptions. If you are using a camcorder with FW connection (usually a miniDV camcorder, especially Canons) then you really have to connect ONLY the camcorder to your Mac, and capture to your internal drive. Don't daisy-chain the camera with an external FW drive - that's the source of lots of capturing problems.

Third, your profile indicates you are using FCE on Lion (10.7.2) ... FCE is not supported on Lion. Was FCE already installed on your Mac before you upgraded to Lion? That could also be a source of capture problems.

Jan 31, 2012 10:27 AM in response to MartinR

Thank you Martin

Canon ZR 960 - sorry about that.

Not sure what FW stands for - my external is Iomega BlackBelt 1TB (bougt it in Apple store-so I expecte it is compatible with iMac). I have been using it thoroughly and had only some minor problems previously. I am videomaker and my projects are usually 1 hour plus long.

You suggest I go to iMac directly - but I need too much memory for my projects? So how would I transfer finished project to external in order to keep it then?Thank you Nada

And yes I am on Lion 10.7.2

Jan 31, 2012 4:30 PM in response to canadanada

Right (control) click the firewire drive icon on your Desktop and select Get Info, this will give you the formatting info.

It should be Mac OS Extended?

Once the files are captured on you system drive copy them to your external and re-connect the files using FCE.

Confirm the files work from the external before deleting the ones on your system drive.

BTW: FCE and Lion will likely cause some trouble (not supported), users experience varied issues from mostly works to not at all.

Al

Feb 6, 2012 6:56 PM in response to canadanada

Back to the last reply,

two questions

1.Now that I captured footage into my hard drive and I saved it on my external = they work, yes, HOW do I remove the footage from HD?

2. Parts of my footage need some audio adjustment - to remove background air condition buzz. I have access to a sound man with protools who thinks he could try to remove it. Is it possible for me to give him JUST the audio? And if yes - how would I put it from camera to a cd?

Thanks Nada

Feb 6, 2012 7:24 PM in response to canadanada

1. Which hard drive?

I assume you mean your system drive and not the external.

Default file path: Macintosh HD>Users>Home>Documents>Final Cut Express Documents>Capture Scratch. Select the required files and Trash them.

The link will help with "test before your trash."

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1029416?answerId=4879399022#4879399022

2. You could use the audio filters in FCE??

Or export from FCE as Quicktime movie, self-contained audio only.

Save the file to whatever medium you like.

Al

Feb 7, 2012 12:30 PM in response to Alchroma

Thanks Al, It was helpful to a point I went this way:

Macintosh HD>Users>Home>Documents>Final Cut Express Documents>Capture Scratch.

When I get to >>Final Cut Express Documents<< the next choices are "Thumbnail cache" file OR "Auto save"

I don't see "Capture Scratch". In "auto save" there are things I never had a clue were saved.

I just clicked to see - on "Laury" =the present project - saved and closed it in fear of doing something to it. BUT when I went on my external where I am working on this project - to continue with work, some of the clips showed "red" - like missing. What have I done?

Nada

Feb 7, 2012 2:03 PM in response to canadanada

My capture scatch folders are in Users>Documents> Final Cut Express Documents>Capture Scratch, and also stand alone folders, as Capture Scratch. When you move your project from the internal disk to the external disk unless you bring the capture scratch files for that project it will remain on the internal disk. You may have to reconnect to the project.

Feb 9, 2012 6:55 AM in response to Alchroma

Thank you Al,

>Go to Final Cut Express>System Settings Disc Tab.<It says 737.8 GB on Macintosh HD Applications Akira

Akira is the name of project that I uploaded (almost 8 hours) directly to HD

Previously when I was going through external drive I would put click on the name ofmy externaldrive there ("NADA's") there.

I have more questions inreference to Roy's post, I will post separatelly.

Thank you -looking forward to see your answer.

Imight notbe ableto respond immediately - but I appreciate every word you say.

Nada

Feb 9, 2012 9:22 AM in response to canadanada

Thank you Roy, I have some questions - need to get this clear.

Because my projects are big, I started to upload them into external drive. As you probebly saw in discussion above, I had trouble capturing into external and and am advised to capture into HD. This really helped. There are no interruptions.

i have some confusion regarding where the capture goes and what results from it.This questions are related to "economy" of available memory space and avoiding interruptions that HD or extrenal drive might cause.

- I capture footage into HD - do I also edit this project in FCE HD - or I take all footage immediately (before editing) into external drive and do the work there. I add a lot of things to my project like music, photos, text and clips. if i take it to external drive and edit there - the auto save on FCE will double 'saved' work into HD AND external? Right?

IF I keep it in HD till the end - in order to free the space on HD and want to save the project - I want to "save it or transfer it " onto external drive.

This part of the process is not clear to me - what do I pull out of HD, so that the entire work is saved / nothing lost when I remove it from HD?

I hope this long explanation makes sense to you. I value all that you might say. As I mentioned to Al, I might not respond to your help immediately, but I hope to learn something new.

Thank you

Nada

Feb 9, 2012 1:48 PM in response to canadanada

Previous posts suggest FCE has problems with Lion and with Canon camcorders. Don't know if either is a cause of your difficulties. FCE places your captured footage where you tell it. See system preferences where you define the scratch video capture disk. If you were capturing to the external disk you had to change the preferences in order for it to go to the system disk. Wherever you defined the capture to go to there will be a capture scratch folder where the footage is. When you move the project to the external disk the capture scratch footage remains on the internal disk, or wherever you have it. If you are concerned about space on your system disk you can copy the capture scratch folder for the project and put it on the external disk or wherever your project is. If FCE project cannot find the footage you reconnect it to the project. It is now on the same disk and connected. After you verify that the project connects to the footage you can delete the capture scratch folder for that project on the system disk.

Feb 9, 2012 8:16 PM in response to canadanada

"Go to Final Cut Express>System Settings Disc Tab.<It says 737.8 GB on Macintosh HD Applications Akira"

HD in your posts refer to your System Drive as opposed to the external called Nada's??

Your Scratch disc is your system drive and you should change it to the External.

Simply copy your files from the system drive to the external and make sure FCE can read the project correctly before trashing your system drive (HD) files.

FCE is non-destructive meaning files names in the Browser are not the real media files but pointers (file paths) linking the name in the Browser to the real media file that is on your Hard Drive wherever it is located, system or external drive.

When you import a file into FCE using File>Import the actual media file is NOT IMPORTED, what is created is a file path linking the Name in the Browser to the real media on the designated Scratch Disc.

Changing the name of the real media file, through the Finder, will result in FCE loosing the file path resulting in Off Line red slashes.

This is why names should ONLY be changed within the FCE Browser so the file path is not broken.

Al

FCE Capture from Canon 2000x camera via external drive stop and go constant interruption.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.