Let me preface this by saying this has been building in my head for quite a while, so it's.. passionate.
This is another 'aperture is slow' post, so, you've been warned.
Aperture 3- large library, ~450GB, 1400 projects, 90,000 pictures, all jpg
Things I have noticed:
- like old OS 9 style, I have to have the program selected (not working in another program) when I import photos- it will import 1 photo every ~4 minutes if it's not at the front.
- it randomly beach balls for 6-7 minutes at a time- Activity Monitor says it's not responding, and it's at ~1.5% CPU on a dual core 2.2 MBP. It does this all the time. It aventually rights itself, but it seems to be doing something, but nothing is listed in the Activity window. Sometimes it does say Processing on the bottom status bar, but the CPU usage is at 1.5%.
- sometimes it'll do the above for 20 minutes.
- shutting down the program can cause it to beach ball for up to an hour (no major changes made in the program), and sometimes forever (at least 12-16 hours before I force quit)
- there's nothing fast about this program, it's not fun to use. It does work somewhat of course, it's just beach balls whenever it feels like it for no reason. Just no good when you're trying to show off pictures off to folks, or you know, get some work done..
I've rebuilt the various things you can fix/rebuild when you Option-launch it.
I know something is odd because it's beach balling for no reason, and more importantly, it's not using any CPU.
Anyone come up with anything?
MBP 2.2 Santa Rosa, app is on an SSD, library is on an internal 1tb drive. (ditched the dvd drive) 4gb ram, nothing special/odd about this system.