Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac intel 24 inch overheating

Why is my imac overheating when the computer has been on for a couple of hours?

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 9:40 AM

17 replies

Jan 31, 2012 12:41 PM in response to grumpysun

Yeah, please define 'overheating'! Is it shutting down or does it just feel hot? An iMac's normal operating temp is around 60-65'C, which will make it feel hot to the touch and radiate some heat, but it is normal. Install a free widget called iStat Pro and post back with the temps listed after some extended use, then 'overheating' can be defined, but I think it is just normal. The aluminum body os an imac is also used to conduct and remove heat from the system,

Feb 2, 2012 3:23 AM in response to 6ITManagement

Thanks. I've tried to download a temperature widget as you suggest. Using the search engine to find iStat Pro, several widgets show up, but there was one relating to temperature which when I tried to download showed the Error Message 404. Please can you tell me where to locate this widget? Again thanks.

Thought it was to do with overheating because it only happens when the Computer has been on continuously for a few hours. If it is put to sleep at regular intervals then it works fine.

Mar 2, 2012 12:54 AM in response to R C-R

I did try that a good while ago and it didn't bring up any hardware issues. I've been using the istat pro widget for a time now and notice the GPU Diode runs aprroximately 6 deg lower than the GPU Heatsink. Is this normal?

Thanks carlfromhayden for your suggestions. Not sure how confident I feel about cracking it open and giving it a dust. What does smc stand for?

Mar 2, 2012 2:40 AM in response to grumpysun

smc= system management controller.http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4117#..read if you want, it explains indetail.

nothing to worry about, when opening up a imac. just Google "how to open an imac". it's easier to watch/read on how do it than me tring to explain. just use some common sense, power down your mac, unplug power cord. i've built computers for years and set up small home/ office networks, etc.. its just like dusting your furniture at home. from time to time it just needs to happen to your computer as well.

Mar 4, 2012 3:30 AM in response to grumpysun

grumpysun wrote:

I've been using the istat pro widget for a time now and notice the GPU Diode runs aprroximately 6 deg lower than the GPU Heatsink. Is this normal?

Nothing to worry about.

Not sure how confident I feel about cracking it open and giving it a dust.

The biggest problem with doing that for many users is getting dust trapped behind the glass during reassembly, or getting fingerprints on it. It's a good idea to move the glass panel far from the iMac if you open it to dust it out & to vacuum the area after blowing the dust out with compressed air & letting it settle. Using a vacuum inside the iMac is not a good idea (because of possible static buildup & because you might damage something with the nozzle or brush if you aren't careful).

It isn't really that much like dusting furniture because the exposed electronics are much more delicate than furniture. Also, it takes a lot of dust to materially affect cooling so you probably won't see much difference if you try it. Personally, I think once every 3 or 4 years is more than often enough to prevent any overheating problems, unless maybe your iMac lives in a very dusty location.

imac intel 24 inch overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.