Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How/Can a European buy a iPhone 4s (Unlocked) in the NY?

Hey!

I'll just ask right out now.. Can a European buy a unlocked iPhone 4s in the New York while traveling?

I want iPhone 4s soo badly and because I'm going to NYC I thought i could buy one there. But it seems to be harder then i thought.

Any suggestions? Please tell 🙂

Thanks

iPhone 4S

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 10:08 AM

Until recently, at least, the Apple retail stores have not had unlocked iPhone 4S units in stock. That may have changed recently, now that stock has improved, but you'll have to call the Apple Stores in NYC and ask. Be sure to make it clear that you are looking for an unlocked, aka SIM-free, iPhone, not one just without a contract.

You are aware, I hope, that you would not be able to get service on a US-sold iPhone in Europe? You'd have to send the iPhone to someone in the US to take or send to Apple should the iPhone ever need service. Just want to make sure you know that. Note as well that there are sales taxes charged in addition to the listed prices. That along with possible import duties may make it less attractive economically to purchase in the US, if that was your rationale.

Regards.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2012 10:08 AM in response to Tim.AQ

Until recently, at least, the Apple retail stores have not had unlocked iPhone 4S units in stock. That may have changed recently, now that stock has improved, but you'll have to call the Apple Stores in NYC and ask. Be sure to make it clear that you are looking for an unlocked, aka SIM-free, iPhone, not one just without a contract.

You are aware, I hope, that you would not be able to get service on a US-sold iPhone in Europe? You'd have to send the iPhone to someone in the US to take or send to Apple should the iPhone ever need service. Just want to make sure you know that. Note as well that there are sales taxes charged in addition to the listed prices. That along with possible import duties may make it less attractive economically to purchase in the US, if that was your rationale.

Regards.

Jan 31, 2012 1:30 PM in response to Tim.AQ

You may well not have any problems, but it's possible since any device can fail. If you buy your iPhone in the US, you'd have to send it to someone here in the US to take or send to Apple and then ship it back to you. If the savings (if any) over purchasing in your home country are to you worth taking the risk of having to incur the expense and hassle (and possible impossibility, if you don't have a friend or relative in the US who could expedite the shipment) of getting service, that's certainly your choice.

Regards.

How/Can a European buy a iPhone 4s (Unlocked) in the NY?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.