Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

video card for early 2008 mac pro

What's a recommended replacement video card?

MacPro 2 X 2 2.8 GHx Quad-Core, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 10:38 AM

NONE. Not until you upgrade beyond 10.5.1.

There is really only one good replacement, and that is ATI 5770 which will require 10.6.5+.

There are others but not new Apple stock, you are left to ebay and 3rd party.

For 10.5.8 there use to be other cards but 10.5.1 came out 4 yrs ago.

14 replies

Mar 2, 2012 1:41 PM in response to TStam

Before I bought the ATI 5770 I read this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3891?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

When I pointed this out to someone, they said, "This shouldn't matter unless you buy HD movies in iTunes, they are HDCP protected, and you want to watch them on your computer (instead of big TV). They might not work even with your old video card, so you probably aren't losing anything. He also sent this and said not to worry about it:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/report-apple-firmware-stopped-dvi -out-in-hdcp-itunes-video/

And he was right. We use our Apple TV to stream to our HD TV.

Jun 24, 2013 5:36 AM in response to Jeff of Ockham

Yes I have

My original card died in 2011 and it aws a big trouble for me cos I worked in dual screen for ages and that was th point am French living in NL as a music producer.... I spent some times on Internet and finally thru a friend of mine I finally bought a 5870 HD to an Apple certified company in Amsterdam

I wanna to b sure it was working on my Early 2008 .... indeed it works find ( if you running 10,6,8 ) ok .....

Last year I started to experience daily KP which drove me crasy because I was not able to work any more....

I removed some RAM

I removed a Raid PCIe Card

I cleaned >from A to Z my MP ( I thought may b it was one of the CPU ) and was ready to try an exchange

but finally after cleaning disks+ formating + installing OS + all my set up like the first day it's working good again no KP very silencious but ..... Am not able to get my dual screen anymore ????? Bought all adapter I could the minidispla to VGA &/or DVI .... nothing .... I see on internet that it's normal it can not work but it worked for me foe more than a year !!!! I need an answer or some light to clear my view .... Any ideas ??? THX and GRTZ all

video card for early 2008 mac pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.