5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2012 3:27 PM by Benna
Benna Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Is there a way to find out if my ssd is corerctly aligned?Under windows there are plenty of programs that verify this, but under mac os x SL?

Maybe Mac OS X is so smart to initialize correctly the driver, may be not... who guess?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • Kappy Level 10 Level 10 (243,475 points)

What do you mean by "aligned?" There is not such term for disk drives.

• Shootist007 Level 6 Level 6 (16,645 points)

I have done several installs on SSDs on Macbook Pros and never had a problem with the Alignment.

You can check it to make sure. I don't have the link but if you do a google search for Mac OS X alignment it should turn up the threads/pages that give instruction to check the alignment.

Good Luck.

• Benna Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

I' asking this because while i reach 260mb/s reading, i got just 50 mb/s writing, and this is for sure NOT correct. I did some search but nothing useful appeared

my controller is SATA II and it correctly show boot "Link speed" and "Negotiated Link speed" at 3 Gigabit.

So i'm wondering WHY DISK SPEED TEST shows me just 50 MB/s

• Shootist007 Level 6 Level 6 (16,645 points)

What brand SSD do you have?

Have you enabled TRIM support?

But although 50MBs looks slow all SSDs write much slower then they read.

What program are you using on the Mac to get those reading? I'd like to give it a try on my Kingston SSDNOW V200 which is a 6GB (SATA III) drive.

• Benna Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Shootists007: i've found out the problem.

My SSD is a Crucial M4 256GB.

TRIM support is enabeld via the utility.

I'm using Blackmagic Disk Speed test, now i get 201MB/s write and 260MB/s read.

The problem, as i've rad on some forum, is that the nvidia controller that mounts Macbook PRO 5.1 is faulty and if you reboot your machine you get those low speeds.

I've simply shutted down the macbook and turn it on again and speed seems to be more coherent...