Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is there no sound from macbook pro?

All of a sudden there is no sound anymore? Is there a fix for this, or do I return the computer (what a pain) its only 6 months old!

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 2:43 PM

13 replies

Jan 31, 2012 10:24 PM in response to Zyriab

Thanks for your kind replies. No sound from internal or speakers (there is the normal start up sound). The 'sound' window shows 'selected sound output device' with a drop down menu, but no options. None of the functions in this window are selectable, i cannot change the sound level or mute. On output, no output devices found, same for input. I have plugged in external speakers. , nothing. The machine is also running super slow. It took 3 minutes to boot. It has done this suddenly, I have not touched anything.

Jun 27, 2012 8:14 AM in response to ahmoun

My solution for "No Sound Output to MacBook Speakers" - Re-route Sound Input / Output

I have had this problem on my MacBook Pro, and tried EVERYTHING Apple & Forums suggested - SMC reset, PRAM reset. Apple advised me to send it in for servicing. Since it isn't covered by warranty, I didn't want to do that.

If you do not want to pay Apple to fix your MacBook optical sound jack hardware, you can overcome the problem with this procedure I came up with myself, which overcomes the hardware failure caused by the headphone jack optical sensor thinking something is plugged in there when there isn't.

Ironically, this solution requires a jack be inserted into the headphone jack. Annoying, but workable and free.

Step 1. Plug headphones in (don’t worry, you won’t use them)

Step 2. Change System Preferences -> Sound -> Change Internal Speakers to an Input!

Step 3. Done!

Obviously when you do want to use the headphones, you must revert this setting. 😀

User uploaded file

why is there no sound from macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.