Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with mail app and iCloud.

I'm using the mail app on my MacBook Pro. I've tried setting up my icloud account through the mail app. However when I try to send an email, an error message pops up saying 'The SMTP server rejected the password for my user' I put in the correct password yet the mail won't send. In preferences, it also says the outgoing mail server is offline. Does anyone know how to fix these problems, or is able to help?

Thanks

Rich

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 2:53 PM

5 replies

Jan 31, 2012 3:10 PM in response to richfisher

You cannot access iCloud on 10.6.7 - Lion 10.7.2 is required. However you can set Mail in Snow Leopard up manually to access iCloud mail (though you won't be able to access any of iCloud's other facilities).

It would be advisable to update to 10.6.8 in Software Update.

The method of setting up Mail is described here:

http://www.wilmut.webspace.virginmedia.com/notes/icloudmail.html

Feb 1, 2012 7:20 AM in response to richfisher

Your system is set in 'Your Stuff' (at top right on the home page)>Profile and 'My Products' on that page - please amend it to prevent people who answer you going down an irrelevant road.

You shouldn't need to set it up in Mail. Go to System Preferences>iCloud and sign in; check 'Mail' and any other facilities you want.

If you already done this, click 'Sign out' and start over. Your data will disappear but will return when you sign back in.

Feb 3, 2012 11:08 AM in response to richfisher

I just ran into the same exact problem. iCloud mail in mail.app was working, but this morning it prompted for a password that it never accepted. To fix it I had to delete the account in Mail's preferences, open System Preferences, click on iCloud, uncheck the Mail and notes option, then click it again.

Your iCloud email account will simultaneously reappear in your list of mailboxes and all of the setting will be correct.

Problems with mail app and iCloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.