Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlock directory window of internal boot drive

Whenever I restart Tiger, it closes all the directory windows. I thought it should preserve all the window states in Tiger when you restart.

If I resize the directory window in my internal drive, it does not preserve the new window size. But if I resize an external disk directory window, it preserves the new size.

I found out from Get Info that my internal drive is locked with read only permission only, but my external drive is unlocked with read+write permission.

How do I change the permission so the window states can be preserved on my home drive?

iMac, MacBook, PowerBook, iPad, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 4:37 PM

4 replies

Jan 31, 2012 6:09 PM in response to BDAqua

Well, I know Tiger has restricted the permission to root user only, so no other groups can modify it, not even wheel or admin groups. It is perfectly ok to restrict the user access of the root directory to read-only, as long as the root user has read+write permission, so it can boot perfectly ok.

I think the read/write permission refers to the user's permission, not the root user's permission.

My home directory is read+write, so the windows should persistent even after reboot, but they are all closed instead.

So this is strange, and it is not suppose to act that way.

Unlock directory window of internal boot drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.