5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2012 8:16 PM by Dave B.
mlwilburn Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Almost from the beginning my Magic Mouse periodically got stuck in right click mode. I could usually get it out of it by opening preferences and unchecking the right click mode and then clicking a few times and then choosing it again. BUT in the last week it has happened more and more and the only way I've gotten it out of the mode is to restart. VERY annoying. The computer is just over 3 months old, actually 3 days over the 90 day telephone support period. I called and got the following advice: buy an extended coverage plan or take it to an authorized Apple store to see someone at the Genius Bar. Well, the closest Apple store to me is 120 miles and has no Genius bar and since this is an intermittent problem I don't see how they can do anything. What I am going to do right now is put it away and get out my Logitech wireless and hook it up and forgo the luxury of scrolling with my Magic Mouse...but I will continue to look at these forums to see if anyone has a solution to this.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • 1. Re: mouse stuck in right click
    Dave B. Level 4 Level 4 (2,085 points)

My closest Apple store is an hour and a half away but I used this http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/service/ and found an AASP 20 minutes away and once they verified I was covered spoke to me at length on the phone. Do you have one nearby? Ended up taking a keyboard in and they replaced it free. Maybe the same for a mouse.

And I think your profile is out of date if you have a 3 month old iMac.

• 2. Re: mouse stuck in right click

I don't know what the profile is but I have the 27" Intel Imac, mid 2011 release. Thanks for the link but it showed me six places and the one 120 miles away is the closest. I really am in the middle of nowhere in the Ozark mountains. I can go to Little Rock, 150 miles...Memphis, 5 hour drive, but the closest it showed was in Springfield Missouri that is 120 miles. I actually go there every few months but not sure I'd want to drag my computer and mouse along for a problem that is intermittent. Thanks.

• 3. Re: mouse stuck in right click

Bummer that. Really grabbing at straws now, but you could mail in just the mouse since you're using your Logitech. But you'd have to call to set it up and you're just over the limit for phone support. Maybe the closest AASP (not Apple Store) would talk to you on the phone to set it up.

• 4. Re: mouse stuck in right click

You know I might call them although I've dealt with this place before and they are usually less than helpful if you didn't buy your stuff from them. It is a very small place. For now I guess I'll use my Logitech to relieve my stress and contemplate what else...or maybe someone will come up with a fix. I did "google" this and I am not alone in this problem. Thanks Dave for your responses.

Margaret

• 5. Re: mouse stuck in right click

You're very welcome. One more shot - since/if you're mailing it, can you call the next AASP on the list and maybe they'll be nicer? Anyway, hope you get it fixed.