Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse cursor problem (dock magnification, highlight issue)

My logitech wired USB mouse has an issue with my iMac. It worked for a couple weeks. After then, whenever it is plugged in, it does not magnify the dock, nor highlight things correctly (cursor does not turn into hand over links, does not open nor highligh menus unless clicked, etc).

After searching, this problem has dated back years and across OS X versions, usually having to do with a wireless or wired Logitech mouse (which mine is). The first thing people suggest is restarting/killing dock, re-install OS, repair permissions, among other things. This rarely fixes the issue. The solution that seems to fix it for most people is to simply unplug the mouse and plug it back in. Most people state this fixes it until it happens again a week later and either they do the unplug-plug again or just give up and switch to another mouse.

I have tried re-plugging it back in but it doesn't solve the issue. Other mice work just fine which I've have gone to, but I really want to use that mouse (plus, I hate giving up!)

Can anyone help me? I'd appreciate it! Thank you!

EDIT: Here are some more clues to the puzzle:

- The mouse works fine on multiple other computers

- Other people have described this problem as the iMac no longer knows where the mouse cursor is until a mouse-click is pressed. That is why it doesn't open menus, magnify the dock, change into a hand when hovering over a link, etc. To open and select a menu at the top of the screen, for example, the left mouse button must be clicked and held, then let go of when you want to choose something.

Message was edited by: vsonline11

Message was edited by: vsonline11

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 5:31 PM

1 reply

Mouse cursor problem (dock magnification, highlight issue)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.