Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I turn on my computer I get the following error messages: Insecure Startup Item disabled. "Library/StartupItems/HP IO" has not been started because it does not have the proper security settings. Also for HP Trap Monitor. How do I fix these?

When I turn on my computer I get the following error messages:

Insecure Startup Item disabled. "Library/StartupItems/HP IO" has not been started because it does not have the proper security settings.

Insecure Startup Item disabled. "Library/StartupItems/HP Trap Monitor" has not been started because it does not have the proper security settings.

How do I fix these?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 6:18 PM

6 replies

Jan 31, 2012 6:47 PM in response to X423424X

Since these messages have come up, I've also had multiple system extention errors that pop up.

There is one problem that I have been encountering and not sure if it is because of the startup items or system extension errors... I am a teacher and use an Activboard on a daily basis. I am unable to get the pens to read with my computer now.

Is this because of the startup items? Or system extensions?

Jan 31, 2012 7:52 PM in response to X423424X

Library/LaunchAgents: com.promethean.activmgr.plist

Library/LaunchDaemons: com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist, com.promethean.activhardwareservice.plist

Library/StartupItems: HP IO folder - HP IO, Resources, StartupParameters.plist

HP Trap Monitor folder - HP Trap Monitor, Resources, StartupParameters.plist

These are the system extension errors

"/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext"

"/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleMux Control.kext"

"/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePoli cyControl.kext"

"/System/Library/Extensions/BJUSBLoad.kext"

"/System/Library/Extensions/EPSONUSBPrintClass.kext"

I do not know what any of these do or how to fix them. I have run multiple disk permission repairs & disk repairs. The startup & system extension errors continue to come up.

I even followed the directions to move HP IO & HP Trap Monitor to the trash, run disk permissions repair, put back in folder, then restart - and still am getting error message.

Jan 31, 2012 8:11 PM in response to BKennedy

I'm going to ignore the error reports on apple supplied kexts. You can't remove those kexts so the cause is from something else or your system is damged.

Of what you showed (and apparently didn't show any of your login items and maybe the LaunchAgents in your home directory) i see two more possible culprits; com.promethean.activmgr.plist launch agent and com.promethean.activhardwareservice.plist launch daemon.

Remove those two and reboot. I don't know what "activ" is (google search says it's something from promethean) but odds are whatever it is will break with these two items removed. But that's not the point of this exercise. You don't have to trash this stuff. Just get it out of the directories they were installed in.

Note, you don't have to keep running repair permissions. It's unnecessary.

Nov 18, 2013 3:22 PM in response to BKennedy

Hi man I just resolved this problem. open your finder then on the application menu(the bar with the little apple,spotlight.etc... click go and the computer. Also you can just press shift command C on your desktop. then select your HD then go to library/startupitems from there drag the item that is mentionedon the error message to the trash bin/empty the trash and restart the computer. the error message should not pop up

When I turn on my computer I get the following error messages: Insecure Startup Item disabled. "Library/StartupItems/HP IO" has not been started because it does not have the proper security settings. Also for HP Trap Monitor. How do I fix these?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.