Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get an external mic to work?

Hello,

After moving house I have just set up my mac mini with snow leopard OSX V.10.6.8. I run Parallels V.5 so that I can use Dragon Naturally Speaking V.10 for dictation. The microphone I use is a Jabra GN9530 that has a base station that connects to the mini via USB and the headset/microphone is wireless.

i have had this set up running successfully until now! I cant calibrate the mic because Dragon says it cant hear it??

1. In the sound preferences I have selected the GN9350 as the device for sound input.

2. The input volume is turned up.

Other than plug it in and turn the power on there shouldn't be any more to it? Would the mic and mini respond better if the mic was plugged into the high speed USB port?

Any ideas as to how I can get this going and get dictating?

Mac Pro

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 9:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 3:56 AM

Hmm, this is complicated by the fact that you're running Dragon in Parallels - it could be a Mac issue, Parallels issue, Windows issue or Dragon issue. I would start at the beginning - is the Mac recognising the Jabra? Can you use OS X to interact with the device? If so, start moving down the chain - does Parallels pass the Jabra correctly through to Windows? Yadda yadda yadda.

So many factors to consider. Start eliminating factors until you narrow it down to the point in the chain where things break down, and if you still need advice, post back.

Good luck,

S.

EDIT: you say this is regarding a Mac mini, but you list a Mac Pro in your sig - it always helps if you provide as much device info as you can in your sig.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2012 3:56 AM in response to PatMan001

Hmm, this is complicated by the fact that you're running Dragon in Parallels - it could be a Mac issue, Parallels issue, Windows issue or Dragon issue. I would start at the beginning - is the Mac recognising the Jabra? Can you use OS X to interact with the device? If so, start moving down the chain - does Parallels pass the Jabra correctly through to Windows? Yadda yadda yadda.

So many factors to consider. Start eliminating factors until you narrow it down to the point in the chain where things break down, and if you still need advice, post back.

Good luck,

S.

EDIT: you say this is regarding a Mac mini, but you list a Mac Pro in your sig - it always helps if you provide as much device info as you can in your sig.

How do I get an external mic to work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.