Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

120gb Ipod classic only not allowing to copy music to the free space 108 gb

I have a 7th gen 120gb classic and my machine is Win XP.

It has maximum free space of 111 GB.

i copied music to it from time to time and the total free space reached 108.6 GB.

After this, i cannot copy any more music onto the Ipod using the itunes.

It always shows the error "Unknown error occured" -50 or -51

and then after clicking ok the previous error another one is shown which says

"Cannot be synced" -1303 or 13010

I have tried

- Resetting Ipod

- Restarting machine

- Scanning the drive using chkdisk

- Restoring

and none of the above tricks works.

Could some one please help me..

iPod classic, Windows XP

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 11:04 PM

7 replies

Feb 3, 2012 10:34 PM in response to jithudigitised

For 120GB, minus the overheads, the max free space is 111GB, but 1GB is 1.024Gbytes and not 1.00Gbytes, so it actually 108GB free for the Disk management software.

I think your iPod is almost full, and the system gives "unknown error mesage", do some housekeeping and get rid of unwanted duplicated songs.

But if I've misunderstood your post, then perhaps this Apple support Article may help.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1928

Feb 4, 2012 6:55 AM in response to jithudigitised

Antivirus has a tendency to freeze iTunes sync Operation with iPod Classic, causing a timeout, which corrupt your iPod filesystem, so when iTunes can't read the iPod filesystem correctly, it maybe pointing to this problem. Other causes is when your iPod hardisk is dying, or your battery is dying causing hardisk crashes.

My suggestion.

1. Disconnect your PC from Internet. (just to make sure no nasties creep into your system while you syncing.
  2. Stop the Antivirus program
  3. Connect your iPod to the PC, using a high speed USB 2.0 port at the back of your PC.
  4. When iTunes Open up, Restore your iPod please, this is for iTunes to map correctly, to fix the corrupted filesystem.
  5. When Restore complete, eject the iPod and reconnect again.
  6. Sync your ipod, preferably manually Manage in small batches and disconnect after every batch, to check that all is well.

When all sync is complete, and iPod disconnected, start back your Antivirus and connect back the Internet.

Good Luck!

Feb 5, 2012 6:26 AM in response to jithudigitised

Error 1303, indicates access priviledge, sometime need to run iTunes as Admin,( if yours is a personal PC no issue), but if is company machine, which only superusers can install software. So hopefully this is not the case, unless you have Admin priviledges. However, sometimes, iTunes is not completely installed, so the Win Registry has some incomplete data.

The first error -50 normally means iTunes Installation issues, here is the Apple Support Article that may fix it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1539

Anyway if you can't access Win registry, it means you got no admin priviledge.

Good Luck!

Feb 6, 2012 1:27 AM in response to jithudigitised

Basically i am not able to access the registry editor (my personal laptop).

But i had tried to copy songs to my ipod from my friend's machine also, who already has a ipod classic 160gb. That also did not work.

For the error -50, i did the steps said in the link, but no luck.

i am almost loosing hope on this one. 😟

Is there anyway i can confirm, whether the hard drive is gone ?

Feb 6, 2012 7:12 AM in response to jithudigitised

To check the hardisk health, do the iPod disk diagnostics as posted by tt2, he gives a very good description of the process and numbers.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3110831?tstart=240

Although you have said that you have reformat your iPod Hardisk, here is a link on the successful format.

http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/ipodsupport/erase/index.shtml

Good Luck!

PS: what is the problem/message when you try to access Registry Editor? I think your problems are due to incomplete iTunes insatllation.

120gb Ipod classic only not allowing to copy music to the free space 108 gb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.