Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Utility 6 and Ethernet Bridge

I have an Airport Extreme (latest model) which I use to connect to my cable modem, and which is used to create a wireless network in my home.

I have an Airport Express as well, which I want to use as an Ethernet Bridge to allow a remote device (other side of the condo) which has ONLY a wired Ethernet connection to be connected throuihg the wirles network, back to my Extreme, and ultimately the internet.

My (albeit rudimentary) understanding of this is that I need to set up the Express in “WDS” mode (Wireless Distribution System) setting up the Express to operate as a “ProxySTA” (Proxy Station).

I was able to do this using the previous version of the Airport Utility but these setting appear to be non-existent in the new Airport Utility.

How can I now do this?

Has this capability been removed? (I can't believe that an update to a piece of software could actually remove features. But then again, I have not personally been subjected to the hoorendous Final Cut Pro upgrade experience, and maybe this is just the path we are now on).

How can I set this up with this new "update"?

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 11:39 PM

4 replies

Feb 1, 2012 9:55 AM in response to David Bozek

I can't believe Apple has done this.

I can understand their wanting to improve the interface and maybe making it easier for most users.

Howver it should still provide at least the funtionality of the earlier version of the software. If the simplicity of the user interface as an improtant aspect of their new approach, then they could provide the extre and more peculiar aspects of the settings deeply accessible via submenus or mutliple configuration screens. Most users would never need to open them, and the simple UI (on the surface) could be used.

Just provide us more experienced users SOME way (more deeply buried in the UI) some way to access the full set of features.

I don't like this tern at all. It appears we are experience the iOS-ification of the Mac. I can understand that in some ways, but Apple should still be sure to maintain all of the capability of earlier versions of software by allowing a "deeper" level of control somewhere within the UI, even if it takes more works (clicks) to get there.

Airport Utility 6 and Ethernet Bridge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.