Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backup: Wireless v Ethernet v USB

Apple Community,

My home setup is as follows:

Modem connected to 3 TB Time Capsule.

Macbook Pro connected to Time Capsule using ethernet cable

External HDD connected to Time Capsule via USB

External HDD connected to Macbook via USB

I use my external HDD connected to my Macbook to store my photos, movies, and iTunes Library folder.

I then use Time Machine to backup my computer, as well as the external HDD connected to the macbook via the USB, using the Time Capsule as the backup destination. I also make a backup onto the external HDD connected to the Time Capsule via the aausb port

Is it possible to backup my files onto the Time Capsule by doing so through the Ethernet Cable, and then continue the rest via wireless backup, or will it always have to be done by using the ethernet connection once a backup was done using an ethernet cable.

I believe wireless backups and wired backups are incompatible, but is this not the case when comparing a wirless backup to that of a backup done via USB.

I hope this makes sense, and more so, that someone can provide me with a useful answer.

Thanks

ST

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 9:34 AM

2 replies

Feb 1, 2012 10:19 AM in response to SKYTORT

Is it possible to backup my files onto the Time Capsule by doing so through the Ethernet Cable, and then continue the rest via wireless backup, or will it always have to be done by using the ethernet connection once a backup was done using an ethernet cable.

If you want to disconnect the Ethernet cable from your Mac to the Time Capsule and log on to the wireless network with your Mac, backups will occur over wireless.

In general, you should expect wireless to take 4-5 times longer than the Ethernet connection, so if you have a large backup as a result adding a lot of new photos, movies, etc,, you might want to re-connect the Ethernet cable and turn off the wireless on your Mac for that backup.

Feb 1, 2012 5:28 PM in response to SKYTORT

SKYTORT wrote:

. . .

I believe wireless backups and wired backups are incompatible, but is this not the case when comparing a wirless backup to that of a backup done via USB.

No. Backups made over a network can be done via Ethernet or WIFI. In fact, we (and Apple) recommend the first, full backup (and any large ones, or full or large restores) be done via Ethernet, as it's so much faster.

The incompatibility is with network backups vs. those made "locally" (to a directly-connected USB or FireWire disk). Those are stored differently from network backups. See the blue box in #E2 of Time Machine - Troubleshooting for details.

Time Machine Backup: Wireless v Ethernet v USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.