Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone uses wrong exchange account for outbound email

I have two Exchange accounts that I need to keep separate. I cannot figure out how to get iOS to not send ALL outbound emails through one of the accounts. If I'm in Exchange account "A", I want outbound emails to go out through A... if in B, then B. This use to work fine but now all outbound email goes through account A.

In the email, I can set the account, but regardless of the account I choose, it always goes out from account "A".

Any thoughts on how to solve?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 9:24 AM

26 replies

Feb 3, 2012 12:35 PM in response to MessagingTech

Unfortunately, that doesn't solve it. That only sets the default mail account for other programs. The issue I'm having is regardless of which account I choose to send the outbound email through, it always goes out the same account. FYI... I have the same setup on my iPad and it works correctly. I also just did a factory reset on my iPhone, setup the two Exchange accounts and I'm still having the same issue.

Mar 8, 2012 2:36 AM in response to brent654

I had the same issue just now.. Couldn't figure out what went wrong.

I have two accounts, one of them being gmail. All my outbound mail was being sent from that account even though all my settings were correct. I even switched off all alternative smtp servers (for each account) to be sure.

Then I remembered I recently changed my other account's mailbox password. When checking I discovered I only adjusted the pop3 password accordingly (since it's more visible when you dive into your mailbox settings on iPhone). I never thought of checking the smtp settings. That did it for me..

Hope this helps..

iPhone 3GS iOS5

Mar 21, 2012 10:06 AM in response to sebas71

When typing an email (replying or whatever) you will see the "Cc/Bcc, From" field at the top of the message. If you tap on that field it will expand letting you see each of those individual areas. The "From" portion will be automatically popluated with the default account. If you tap on it you will be provided with a list of all of the available accounts that the phone has configured.

Choose the account you want the email to originate from and enjoy the rest of your day.

May 9, 2012 6:35 PM in response to sebas71

Same problem here, same situation - two accounts on one iPhone. No matter which acct used for sending all outbound emails had account "A" for address. I checked all the options in settings and in the email send for choosing the correct account but all email was delivered from "A" no matter what.

I discovered that the default "A" account was setup for SMTP but the "B" account did not have SMTP validated. It showed a password but it also showed account "A" as a secondary SMTP server.

I took account "A" off account "B" as a secondary SMTP server. The next email sent from "B" required a password. When I opened settings, completed the password for "B" and the SMTP server validated.

Now email sent from "A" is delivered from "A", email from "B" is delivered from "B".

Thanks for pointing me to the solution!

Aug 1, 2012 5:34 PM in response to brent654

I am having the same issues also. When I send an email from my account A (Exchange email account) a copy of the email is now being saved to the sent folder of my Hotmail Exchange sent folder and not to the account A folder. The default account under settings is set to Account A.

The only way I can ensure that a copy of my email is saved to the correct account folder is to ensure to deactivate my hotmail account before sending an email from my Account A.

Is there a way to fix this issue so that copies of sent emails are saved in the "sent folder" of the account they are sent from.

Aug 8, 2012 8:34 PM in response to brent654

I am having the same issue. I called apple support and they seemed unaware of this problem. I have to disable a gmail account to send emails through my work email acocunt, otherwise the emails will be sent from my personal gmail acocunt. The problem is embarassing on a professional level. I have attempted to resolove the issue with the suggestions above but nothing is working. My phone is updated.

One strange thing I noticed, despite making my work email the default address, the phone has determined that my personal gmail account is the "home" email address- strange as the address is not associated with any contacts in my address book etc. Dont know why the phone would designate the acct as home.

My phone is a 4S and brand new, I previously had a 4 and NEVER had any issues.

iPhone uses wrong exchange account for outbound email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.