Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transcription software -- audio discussion to text file

Hello,

Can anyone please point me to software that takes an mp3 file of a conversation and will generate a transcribed text file?

Thanks,

KDS

Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 9:39 AM

17 replies

Jul 15, 2017 9:10 AM in response to TonyLima

I've used gotranscript.com in Britain. They transcribed two audio files of an interview about family history that had several people speaking and US specific kinds of language. Other than getting some words spelled in the Queen's English, they were good. An hour long audio file was transcribed quickly and for less than $100.

I agree with you that I would not use any Russian web site given today's events with Russian hacking.

Feb 1, 2012 3:14 PM in response to kurt188

I don't think Express Scribe does it either. From the description it seems it is simply playback software controlled by a foot pedal which allows you to play back audio at various speeds while transcribing by hand (typing).

If you're really looking for something a-la-Siri to convert what you say into text, it will require some pretty powerful voice transcription. There's Dragon Dictate and MacSpeech Scribe (both by the same company) which seem to do this, but I don't know how lucky you're going to be finding something that works under Tiger OS. Note: Dragon Dictate has a free version for the iPhone but definitely be sure you read the privacy statement if you're going to use it.

Oct 20, 2012 9:10 AM in response to KDS-KDS

Automatic voice recognition software normally reduces the manual transcription needs. But Automatic voice recognition technology is not still matured to produce accurate transcription for non-American accents, or with people speaking quickly or multiple speakers audio files. If you have more than one voice it is almost impossible to get a good transcript. Add to that any background noise or a weak recording and you can pretty much forget it.

So, after automatic transcription, you have to massage this transcription into the final form. Some of the massages are

Correct incorrectly transcribed words/phrases.

Correct punctuation/sentence breaks.

Define paragraph breaks.

For automatic transcription, you can also refer

http://audacity.sourceforge.net

In this scenario, better to go for manual transcription. For accurate and cost-effective manual transcription, please refer:

Audio Transcription

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

<Edited by Host>

Dec 28, 2013 2:55 AM in response to KDS-KDS

Hello KDS-KDS

While Searching in Google you will get a long list of transcription software that is powered by market professionals.Some pf examples are:

1. Express Scribe

2. EureScribe

3. InqScribe

But according to my point of views automated software still doesn't provide accurate results to the folks speaking fast. So If you still getting any issues in using these software, then you can hire a transcribe(e.g portiva.com) to ease your work.

Feb 12, 2014 4:03 AM in response to KDS-KDS

Hi KDS-KDS,

let me introduce another piece of transcription software that you might like.

If you do manual transcription try Transcriber-pro. Features include, but not limited to time code, automated speakers insert, unclear audio parts tagging, text replacement and interactive transcript export. You can link your transcript to YouTube video and post HTML transcript with social media buttons to web site with transcribed video. You decide the way you break your interactive transcript down to quotes( each quote is linked to a specific part of the video and has popular social media buttons so that folks watching video/reading transcript could share the quotes they liked with their friends and followers on Facebook, Twitter and Google+). They offer a 30-day trial and reasonable subscription price. Web site http://www.transcriber-pro.com/en/ 😉

Transcription software -- audio discussion to text file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.