Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule not recognizing external hard drive?

Hoping someone here might be able to help me out with this...

I just picked up a Time Capsule and was able to set it up with no issues. My MBA and PC laptop was able to connect to it with no problem.

I had a 2TB Seagate Goflex external hard drive that I wanted to connect to the Time Capsule via the USB port and have the Seagate act as a network drive that I can read/write from any of the computers at home (4 in total). I'm a photographer so I wanted to use the time capsule to backup my MBA and my pictures only. I would use the Seagate for videos/docs/pics/everything else. Seagate drive is formatted to work on both PC and Mac.

It connects fine, but I am not able to locate the Seagate on any of my computers. I am able to see it through the Airport utility and have it enabled to share in my network. However, I can't see it through my windows explorer in PC nor my Finder in MBA? Am I missing something?

I can connect the Seagate directly to my PC or MBA and it recognizes it fine, able to read/write. Only when I connect to the time capsule is when I can't find it anywhere?

Help??

Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 9:54 AM

7 replies

Jul 11, 2012 2:39 PM in response to jguther

I have the same issues, except I have anothor drive (not seagate) hooked to one of my timecapsules (yes I have 2 for diff parts of the house), and it is formated for PC and it works fine. The seagate ones seem to be the issue (plugged into mac works fine, had to install NFS software to be able to write to it. Read someplace online that people say to remove and seagate drivers fro the mac, but that does not make any sense if issue is with time capsule?

If I reformat, then I can easily use for direct plug to PC as needed for larger movements. ANy other ideas on how to get seagate to play with Time Capsule?

Jul 11, 2012 10:05 PM in response to NamelessJiN

It's likely that you have to reformat your drive. Follow HT2426.

The AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule support USB storage devices that are formatted as Mac OS Extended (HFS-plus), FAT16, or FAT32. Formatting a storage device as Mac OS Extended with journaling is recommended, as it may provide some more resilience if the device is removed or powered down while in use.

Note: ExFAT and NTFS formats aren't supported.

Time Capsule not recognizing external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.