Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cellular Data and Battery life

Right, this is probably incredibly thick, but here goes.

1. Turning ON wifi, uses battery life, because it would not normally be on, so even if you are not using the internet, you are using battery to search for networks and keep a connection. Correct?

2. Turning ON Cellular data does not use any battery life in itself, it is not activating anything, it is merely allowing the phone to use its phone signal to transfer data should it need to when you use the internet?

Just wondered if i had this correct, because i heard someone say that leaving cellular data on, uses battery, but how can it, as long as you are not using the internet?

Surely if you are not using the internet and do not have airplane mode activated, it is better to have cellular data on, than wifi? (with regards to battery-life at least)

I apologise if this isnt very clear,

James

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1, Black 16GB

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 10:24 AM

4 replies

Feb 1, 2012 11:47 AM in response to James_0807

Anytime the phone sends or receives a signal, it is using battery power. Transmitting and receiving requires power.

You can leave wifi on and just turn off the setting to "Ask to join networks". It then does not continually scan for available networks. It will join known networks as it periodically will look just for those. And you can manually join a network at any time. I leave my wifi like this all the time, and having it always on like that makes almost no difference to battery life versus turning it off.

Cellular data - you are right that turning it off really saves nothing, as the cellular radio is checking for the carrier signal all the time anyway (it actually does this many times per second, but powers off the cellular radio inbetween to save power - a scheme used by cell phones for decades since just keeping the radio powered up all the time uses a lot more power). The phone will only actually use additional power if send or receiving cellular data, but just being on and available for data uses no more power than having it off really, since cellular data off does not equal cellular radio off.

If you use push mail (and get a lot of email) and a lot of notifications (especially ones that repeat frequently), if outside the range of any wifi, the phone will use 3G data for those services, so it can run down the battery rapidly. But that is not really a function of having cellular (or 3G) data on or off, it is a function of how you have your accounts and notifications set up.

Cellular Data and Battery life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.