Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can not create a new folder on my desktop. It says "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission

I can not create a new folder or delete a folder on my desktop. It says "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission" what to do?

thanks,

MacBook

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 10:07 AM

6 replies

Feb 21, 2012 1:36 PM in response to Niel

Hi,

I've started to get this problem too. The only place I can't create a folder is on the desktop - other folders/locations are fine.

When I do "new folder' it first asks for the password and then fails with the "you do not have the necessary permission" message. I'm using the only user account that has been created on the Macbook Pro since it was installed. It is defined as an Admin account.

I've tried reseting the Permissions and ACL using the Terminal program after interupting a re-boot. That didn't have any affect though. I also tried changing the privileges by right clicking on the desktop and going in via Get Info...again. either I'm doing it wrong, or its not working.

Apols if this is an easy Question - the Macbook is for my son and I'm an OSX numpty (having used Windows more ;-)

Thanks in advance.

I can not create a new folder on my desktop. It says "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.