Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my Apple ID work in the iCloud preference pane? (It's accepted everywhere else.)

When I try to sign in to iCloud on my Mac, I get two simultaneous error messages.

At the lower left of the iCloud preference pane, in red, I'm told "Unrecognized Apple ID or password." At the same time an alert slides down from the top of the window saying "You can't sign in at this time. Try signing in again."

I'm using the very same Apple ID and password that I use successfully for iTunes on my Mac and also use constantly in the App Store on my iPad, so I know it's good.

Why won't it work on the Mac and how do I fix it?

Thanks!

Jophan

Flushing, NY

Mac mini (Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 12:03 PM

13 replies

Feb 11, 2012 3:43 AM in response to Jophan

Jophan wrote:

I'm using the very same Apple ID and password that I use successfully for iTunes on my Mac and also use constantly in the App Store on my iPad, so I know it's good.

It may be good, but it also may well not be the correct ID for iCloud: many people have different ID's for iTunes and iCloud - this doesn't present any problems as long as you don't get them confused.

You need to sign in with the iCloud you used to create your iCloud account - this may well be your @me.com email address; if you migrated from MobileMe it will be.

Feb 20, 2012 2:44 AM in response to Jophan

i changed my apple ID yesterday (we had a change of our email addresses at my university), got it confirmed and everything. today i wanted to get icloud back to work by updating the emailaddress in system prefs (by the way i had to delete my "old account" first, wasnt possible to change just the mailaddress) but i got the same error you got Jophan!

there was no problem with changing the ID on my iphone, also i successfully logged in on icloud.com and itunes.

in addition, when i click on "create a new apple id" (just tried everything possible), it keeps telling me, that it's impossible to create a new ID at the moment!

any idea for a workaround?

Feb 23, 2012 6:31 PM in response to Jophan

In my continuing search for a solution, I've come across another discussion of this problem that may be useful to some. You will find here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1250735

It offers two ideas to try.

First, if you are using Little Snitch, try turning it off when you want to log into iCloud. (As it happens, I do use LS, but turning it off made no difference for me. Some of the posters do report success, however.)

Secondly, try deleting the ~/Library/Application Support/iCloud/Accounts folder. (Again, some posters report this solved the problem, but it didn't work for me.)

Let us know if you have luck with either of these.

Jophan

Why won't my Apple ID work in the iCloud preference pane? (It's accepted everywhere else.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.