OK, you MUST have an active payment method connected with your appleID!
that's how I solved my issue with my iPhone 5.
it turned out that my credit card that I had connected with my acount had expired and I hadn't updated that information.
once I updated my new card information, all was fixed immediately.
1. go into itunes and sign in using your appleID
2. once signed in, it should link you directly to your "Account Information"
3. Look at "Payment Type" and edit your card information
4. go back to your iPhone and go to Settings > Messages > Send & Recieve
5. Both your email, and your phone number should now be listed and checked (EVEN IF YOUR PHONE NUMBER IS GREYED OUT, IT IS STILL CONNECTED)
6. send a text iMessage to someone who also has iMessage to confirm that they are recieving your messages from your phone number and not your email address.
have a great day! hope this works.
Ok so my imessage and FaceTime both show different numbers (neither number is my number) I'm from UK and one number is from Thailand and the other is from Australia. I've turned the imessage and FaceTime off and on, signed in and out of my apple ID. Reset the phone, removed and replaced the SIM card. Tried 101 solutions touted on the web but still same problem. When I click imessage to on and sign into my apple ID, it has my correct email and mobile number. However, when I click done and the view the send and receive addresses, the greyed out number is a Thailand number and no longer the mobile number that my apple ID had identified. I have also contacted my service provider and there is no problem on their end and I rang apple support and they said they didn't know what to do and that they hadn't heard of this issue before. Any profound suggestions?
Has anyone experienced this same problem with Movistar in Spain? I was with Vodafone here in Spain and had no problems and now I've switch to Movistar and my phone number (same one I had with Vodafone) is not being recognized by iMessage.
I've tried all the previous suggestions and have had no luck.
Any other suggestions?
Yes. So I went back to UK for a couple of weeks holiday and my UK sim has always synced with iMessage and FaceTime. However when I put my Australian sim back in then FaceTime and iMessage would then be stuck synced to my UK number. After having my UK sim in for 3 weeks I changed back to my Australian sim and it just started working properly.
I've been escalated to the highest order in apple engineering and no one had ever heard of it happening before. They had me send them screen shots etc. turns out it must just have been a SIM card glitch. Total farce really. Hope it works out for you. Sometimes there isn't a quick fix for these things unfortunately and getting a new sim might be the best option.
I was able to fix this issue after two days of "waiting for activation".
Here is my guess of what is causing the problem:
- Your phone tries tell iMessage server that it should activate your number.
- Based on where you live (region/country) your request gets picked up by different servers (UK vs US vs France for example).
- The server that picks up the request sends a text message to your phone to confirm that the number really belongs to you. Depending on which server has been assigned to you, you may be getting the text message from a different country code.
- Your iPhone monitors the text messages that come in. When the iMessage activation text message comes in your iPhone doesn't show you that message.
What we are trying to do with the fix below is to tell iMessage to use a different server to send your activation message.
Go to Settings > Messages
Tap on your apple id.
When prompted enter your apple id and password.
Change your location/region (I changed it from US to UK).
Go back and now everything should be working fine!
Don't forget to change your region back to US afterwards.
i am facing the same problem. the carrier am using is safaricom kenya and called them but they have no clue and confirmed they have not blocked any premium sms. this problem started recently it use to work fine. i have tested my phone with another carrier and worked immediately. Please assist. thanks