8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2012 8:36 AM by 1 Open Loop
1 Open Loop Level 2 Level 2 (350 points)

Masters can only be stored in one Project.

Correct?

If I drag a photo from a Project into an Album I'm assuming what's in the Album is a Version.

Correct?

How can I tell I'm looking at a Version and not a Master?

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (12,510 points)

Apple has done a crappy job of naming things, and users cut their feet walking the path to mastery.

A semi-easy answer:

- Yes, Images have a special relationship to Projects:  each Image can be in only one Project, and must be in a Project.  Images can be in as many Albums as you want.

Have you read my concise guide?  I think it will provide sturdy enough shoes to get you through this rough spot.

The not-easy answer is this:

- Every Image you look at is a Version, unless you activate "View→Show Master Image" (usually done by typing "m").  Images that have no adjustments appear exactly the same as the Master.  The Image = the Master (an image-format file) * the Version (a text file of instructions).  The instructions are applied on-the-fly to the Master in order to produce the Image.  Understanding this is one of the keys to making use of Aperture.  In use (and in the Aperture documentation) "Version" is used interchangeably as the name of this text file, and as the name of the Image produced.  (Imho, this is a terrible, horrible, execrable interface decision.)

"Photo" has no useful meaning in Aperture.  The rectangles you see in the Browser and the Viewer are Images.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- attempts at clarity.

• léonie Level 9 Level 9 (78,325 points)

Maybe a simile can help - not that Kirby's comprehensive explanation needs any add-ons.

I like to think of albums, books, etc. as groupings of images that are in relation with respect to a special purpose or use - just like people. Each one of us is a unique person, living at a special, unique place, but we can be a member of many organisations - a member of an automobile club, a building society, a charity organisation, ect. if need be, we enter in new relations, and we cancel them, if no longer required. Cancellng a membership usually does not terminate our existence.

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (25,720 points)

Forget about masters. You never see the master in Aperture unless you specifically ask to see by hitting  the M key or do View->Show Master Image.

Honestly there is little reason to see the master unless you want to compare it to the version you're working on and then doing a new version from master can be more useful because you can put them up side-by-side. If you use the M key you're flashing from one image to the other.

regards

• 1 Open Loop Level 2 Level 2 (350 points)

Kirby Krieger wrote:

Apple has done a crappy job of naming things

I think I might have to disagree with you on this. If you take the time to learn iPhoto and all the iPhoto terminology, then the transition to Aperture will be very smooth.

In iPhoto your images are stored in Events. Not a terribly odd name, makes sense. Then, if you move over to Aperture your images are  stored in Projects, since there are no Events in Aperture just Projects. There are Projects in iPhoto, but that's for Cards, Calendars and Books. You can make Books in Aperture but they don't have to be stored in Projects, cause the Projects in Aperture aren't like the Projects in iPhoto.

Wait a minute.

You might be right.

(note to self: Never disagree with a Level 5 poster)

• léonie Level 9 Level 9 (78,325 points)

(note to self: Never disagree with a Level 5 poster)

Kevin,

These threads are supposed to be discussions - I hope you do not want to bore us by consenting meekly and submissively?   Feel free to disagree with anything I am posting, as long as you actually read and analyse the things you want to disagree with. If your arguments are good, we too can profit from the discussion.

Cheers

Léonie

Apple has done a crappy job of naming things

Kirby is so right!

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (12,510 points)

.  First I thought, "Well, OK -- but why?"  Then I though, "This is part of the argument I would make to support my contention."  And finally I thought, "Exactly!".

But, harmonizing with Léonie, I have to disagree (none too gently -- sorry ) with your "note to self".  Those of use who wear the dotty pentagon have no more authority than anyone else.  What we have -- in addition to the certification that others have found our experience useful -- is knowledge.  But knowledge remains in flux, and is always subject to refinement.  Let me state unequivocably:  if something does not make sense to you, or is countered by your experience, you do everyone a favor by adding to the discussion.

I am not here to be right.  I am here to build and share know-how about Aperture.

Wait, did I type that? I thought I was just thinking that note to self  stuff. Darn.

Kirby Krieger wrote:

I am not here to be right. 

Well, to be clear, I didn't say your were right. I think I said you might be right. Leonie is the one who thinks you're right. In this particular case, I believe Leonie is right. (notice I didn't say you were right) So, if you didn't come here to be right, you came to the right place.

Thanks for your help clearing up what is  fuzzy. As I move from a Finder method of organization to Aperture I occasionally get tripped up in it's architecture, workflow and sometimes odd use of terms.

Kevin

Don't take what I say too seriously. I rarely, if ever go back and read my notes to myself and even when I do, I never follow them. (who'd follow the advice of a level 2 guy anyway?)