Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

date added column blank

i love the date added column. I think it's one of the best unmentioned new features in Lion.

I reinstalled OS 10.7 2 days ago, went through all of the updates to get current, because I was unhappy with the speed of my iMac 27, 3.4 Ghz & 16 gigs of RAM. The speed is unacceptable. (nothing changed, speed-wise)

Today I notice the Date Added column in any finder window is blank, except for 2 hyphens "– –".

Has anyone seen this or heard of it before? Did I hit a switch or turn something off by accident? I haven't made any other changes besides the reinstall.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Gregg

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), iMac 27" 3.4 Ghz 16 GB

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 7:17 PM

spotlight needs to reindex the hard drive to figure out the date added.

6 replies

Feb 8, 2012 8:32 AM in response to Gregg Luhring

Thanks SmokeMonster, That did it. Actually I had installed Lion on an external drive and forced indexing to stop by putting my other drives into Privacy in Spotlight. I didn't realize that it would carry on when I went back to running on my internal drive.

Paul Williams3, open Spotlight in System Preferences. Click on the Privacy tab and drag your hard drive(s) into the list to prevent Spotlight from indexing. I think you get an "Are you sure you want to do this?" message. Go ahead. This deletes the spotlight index of whatever you drag in there.

When you select whatever you put in there and click the minus button at the bottom left of the window, Spotlight will immediately begin to reindex.

Have a good day!

Gregg

Feb 8, 2012 8:53 AM in response to Gregg Luhring

Thanks Gregg! My spotlight is working and my "Date Added" columns are back to normal.

Would you (or anybody else) know if spotlights indexing of a drive could prevent the unmounting of that drive?

I was running DiskWarrior last night from an external startup drive and it said it was unable to unmount my internal drive to complete the rebuild of the directory and it recommended i quit all applications that might be using that drive. I was just thinking, if spotlight was indexing in the background, maybe that was the application tying up the drive. A few hours later, DiskWarrior was able to unmount the internal drive and rebuild the directories ... i'm thinking spotlight may have completed its indexing.

I'm just thinking outlloud. Thanks for the help!!!

date added column blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.