Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is stealth mode and is it good for your computer

what is stealth mode can you please help me i just found it through my firewall and i am scared about it

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 13 inch 2.4 ghz intel Core i5

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 7:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 7:10 PM

Stealth Mode just means that the computer will not respond to a "ping" or similar network enquiries. This means that anyone trying to communicate with your computer will not receive any reply.

It will not harm your computer to turn it on, but it may adversely affect any networking programs which you use. I would turn the firewall on, but leave Stealth Mode off unless you really know you need it.

Matt

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2012 7:10 PM in response to chris Techead

Stealth Mode just means that the computer will not respond to a "ping" or similar network enquiries. This means that anyone trying to communicate with your computer will not receive any reply.

It will not harm your computer to turn it on, but it may adversely affect any networking programs which you use. I would turn the firewall on, but leave Stealth Mode off unless you really know you need it.

Matt

What is stealth mode and is it good for your computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.